VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd increase for bipolar

Rate this question

Scout834

Question

I have been rated 40% since 2007: 30 ptsd, 10 shrapnel scar, 0 planter fasciitis.

I received some counseling and medication at a VAMC until 2008 before stopping meds. I restarted antidepressants and sleeping med in 2011 through my family doctor. I went back to therapy in 2018 with a private therapist. She agreed with the ptsd diagnosis and also diagnosed bipolar. I stayed in therapy for 1 year and have continued on meds. In 2019 I went through marriage counseling. 

I am about to file a hearing loss and tinnitus claim. My question is if I should file for ptsd increase due to the bipolar? Would a letter from my family doctor saying he was treating me for ptsd since 2011 and then bipolar starting in 2018 be enough of a nexus?

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Scout 834 Welcome to Hadit. Tinnitus & hearing a separate NEW disabilities and you file them separately from MH INCREASE, which is filed on a supplemental claim for increase.. If you have symptoms that have gotten worse, including a NEW MH condition, you should file for an increase from the 30%. You may have worsening symptoms but if you file for a new condition it still will be included as an increase in your MH rating ..Compare what your conditions NOW are compared review 38cfr 4.130 to see if your ratings would bump up to 50%. You are better off just filing for worsening symptoms, not a specific new MH condition. Yes, any evidence you have from private docs should be included, as well as a statement in support of the claim form that you write, and your spouse, if married, that talks to how these worsening conditions effect your social and employment. You don't need a nexus as you already have a MH disability.