VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD (Personal Trauma) Claim changed to GAD

Rate this question

baezivy

Question

I put in a claim twice for PTSD Personal Trauma and both times they changed it to GAD increase. So my C&P exams are schedule for GAD increase and not PTSD. I just had an exam today and the examiner stated it was for GAD and not PTSD which I was so confused. I called the VA and told them, I was scheduled for something I did not put a claim in for. Now they are researching as to why it was changed. Has this happened to anyone else? I was diagnosed with PTSD by my Therapist/Phychiatrist for over a few years now and I am having such a difficult time with compensation. Any suggestions on what to do next?

• Lead Moderator

Hello Baezivy,  Welcome to Hadit

The first thing is the VA is the only one that can diagnose PTSD.  If you have not gone to the VA to get a diagnosis then you do not have PTSD, according to the VA standard.  The reason they are changing it is due to you not having it through the VA.  

You are going to need to go to the VA hospital and be seen by the MH area there and get a diagnosis.  

Regardless of what they call it, you're only going to get one mental health rating.  GAD vs PTSD vs MDD, etc. I know we veterans get hung up on what they classify it as, but a rating is a rating.  For example, my PTSD/MDD rating is classified as being 'Non Combat', when in fact it was combat related.  I've seen this drive veterans absolutely bonkers even though it changes nothing.  Sure, I don't like it, but I'm not going to go through the trouble to have it corrected.  It changes nothing.

Do you think you stand a better chance of getting a rating if it is a PTSD C&P?  Hell it might be the same DBQ as GAD by a Psyc. DR that does both.

You never know, they may rate you with PTSD/GAD.  GAD is a part of it after all.  So is MDD (major depression disorder).  They all intermingle. 

"Only God" knows why VA does some things.  I dont even always know why "I" do some things, let alone some 1 million VA employees.  

This said, I will offer a hypothesis: (guess)

While I have not read your file, I agree with "El Train" above.  

Only a doctor can make a diagnosis, VA raters dont do that.  Read your file and see if a doctor said you did not have PTSD, that your symptoms were GAD instead.  That may well be why it was changed.  

Supposedly, if you request SC for (x condition), but your doctor says you have a closely related (y condition), you should get sc for y, provided that you meet the caluza element criteria.  In other words, if you asked for PTSD, and the doc says "No, you dont have PTSD, you have GAD", then it makes sense it would be changed.  

You dont have to necessariy APPLY "if your goal is to get a PTSD Diagnosis" without an increase.  You simply ask your doctor if you have ptsd, that is, after you read your medical file and see if he already diagnosed you with PTSD.  

Of course, VA loves glitches resulting in delays, and this could be one.  

When you filed, did you use the MST specific PTSD form? When I filed for it, I first called the MST coordinator, they told me which form to use, for example only, the regular/combat ptsd form is 2585, then the MST specific form is like 2585/a. Or something like that.