VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cola and inflation

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

As many of you know, our Cola for 2022 will be 5.9 percent.  But wait!  Its not really that much!  Why?

Before "we even begin the year 2022" our medicare part B, will increase 14.8 percent from 148 to 170 per month.  That means medical, often a big part of seniors bills, will increase at almost 3 times as fast as our Cola.  

So, social security recipients (except those who opt out of part B) will see a good part of their Cola vaporize before the New Year even arrives.  

Neither Cars, nor gasoiline is any better.  Used cars are up 32 percent, according to Consumer reports:  https://www.consumerreports.org/buying-a-car/when-to-buy-a-used-car-a6584238157/#:~:text=Woolard says that current used,in the nation's inflation rate.

Gasoline, from December last year, was 2.28 per gallon average.  The most recent is 3.49 per gallon, that is an increase of 53 percent for the past year.  

COLA.  5.9 percent

Cars.    32 percent

Gasoline 53 percent.  

Medical. 14.8 percent.  

Ground beef, at my local store, is similar to gasoline..from 2.29 last year, to 3.49 this year.  53 percent.  

Jim Gaffigan said, that a friend of his cancelled his satellite tv subscription.  Jim responded, "Why do you want to do that?  What are you gonna do with your extra. $500 a month you will save?  "  

He is not far off.  By the time you figure one time fees (that occur over and over) taxes, fees that we have no idea what they are, and increases, your "29.00 per month cable bill" is well over 100 or even 200 per month, after the planned increases.  I got rid of mine, too, and dont believe any cable company that says "29 per month".  

Privacy in the US has gone down the tubes in the last 20 or so years.  With the advent of cell phone they know everything you do. Your modern cars also are tracked.

If you ever drive down an interstate, they have camera's everywhere. Now, they installed devises to pick up cell phone traffic. It is being recorded in huge repositories that can hold tens of thousands of terabytes of compressed data that can be mined at the drop of a hat. 

Privacy is nothing more than a puppet in court cases.

I agree that Verizon is a bunch of thieves.  My wife cancelled my sons phone, when he went into the Army.  

Guess what?  It was never cancelled in the computer, and Verizon sent my wife a $1400 bill for phone service while my son was in Iraq and could not use the phone at all.  It did not matter..it all fell on deaf ears at Verizon, and they turned us into collection, for a bill on a never use cell phone which was cancelled.  

For that reason, I dont use Verizon either.  Even before that, Verizon raised my bill almost every month.  If you call and complain, they will take it off, then double it and add that to next months bill.  

I like what Jim Gaffigan said.  Someone told them they were cancelling their satellite dish internet.  

Jim said, "Why are you doing that?  Then you will have to figure out what to do with the extra 500 per month you will save."

Of course, the satellite TV companies "invented" raising your bill.  The 29.00 per month you sign up for quickly becomes $125, then it really starts to increase.  If you call them and ask them, "well its not our fault taxes and fees went up".  

I told them the tax on 29.00 is $2.03 (29 times .07 our tax rate) per month, not $100 per month.  

I have since cancelled the dish (I used both companies..they were the same..) and never again.