VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Friend's great award and Dr Bash

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I have conversed from time to time via email with a disabled vet friend from the older hadit web site and I  recommended Dr Bash to him-probably over ten years ago and he finally got a GREAT award from the BVA:

He wrote:

Thanks to you, my dear friend, and your recommendation years ago to hire Dr. Craig Bash for an IMO made this decision possible.  In fact, I had (3) IMO's done by Dr. Bash" :

" ORDER

Entitlement to an initial disability rating in excess of 10 percent for left knee chondromalacia is denied.

Entitlement to an initial disability rating in excess of 10 percent for instability of the left knee is denied.

Entitlement to service connection for diabetes mellitus, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for hypertension, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and /or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for renal nephropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and/or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for bilateral upper extremity peripheral neuropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and/or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for bilateral lower extremity peripheral neuropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and /or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to special monthly compensation(SMC) for loss of use of a creative organ is granted.

Entitlement to compensation for obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. 1151 is moot and dismissed.

Entitlement for compensation for chronic kidney dysfunction under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. 1151 is moot and dismissed."

Some denials and some good remands,  that's right folks- you aren't reading this wrong-

"Entitlement to service connection for hypertension, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and /or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for renal nephropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and/or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for bilateral upper extremity peripheral neuropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and/or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for bilateral lower extremity peripheral neuropathy, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea and /or his now service-connected diabetes mellitus, is granted.

Entitlement to special monthly compensation(SMC) for loss of use of a creative organ is granted."

"The Board in their decision wrote, " The Veteran underwent a December 2011 evaluation by a private physician (Dr. Bash).  He opinioned that it was at leasts likely as not that the Veteran's diabetes mellitus was secondary to his mixed lung disease.  The examiner then provided his rationale for his opinion.  In providing his opinion the examiner stated he was considering the Veteran's lay statements and the objective findings/imaging tests/diagnoses.  The private physician noted some medical studies.  His curriculum vitae was attached.  This examination and opinion were supported by medical evidence and were completed following a review of the record and evaluation of the Veteran."

Nothing is impossible but if often takes a strong IMO/IME to get a proper decision. And sometimes we ned to take thebull by the horns!

This vet called the White House Hot line because of the delay in this remanded claim - the BVA then made the decision on the same day! Nov 30,2021

He has been through quite a bit but never gave up and , like my 2 IMOs from Dr.Bash, for the most important claim I ever had- ( undiagnosed and untreated DMII from AO causing/contributing to deat a Direct SC death award) Dr Bash did an excellent and thorough job in helping this veteran and friend I have from the older hadit board.We both dealt with the same VARO and they cant read.

"Entitlement to service connection for diabetes mellitus, to include as secondary to service-connected obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease with sleep apnea, is granted."   I am repeating this statement because it is incredible and Dr Bash obviously gave a full medical rationale for the nexus.

DMII can cause a myraid of other secondary disabilities and  many are very serious!
Dr. Bash also found my dead husband had two other secondary's due too his undiagnosed diabetes mellitus  that I have not even claimed yet-maybe I will.

A good IMO/IME doctor, like Dr Craig Bash, will give your medical records the most complete review they will ever get, in my opinion, and he might  even discover 1151 issues or issues that could be secondary but were never claimed and the IMO/IME might also  support a new claim for those secondarys.

Edited by Berta

3 answers to this question

He is in Betheda, MD but it doesn't matter where the claimant lives-unless he needs to do an inperson IME.

https://veteransmedadvisor.com/

(West of Syracuse- do you deal with the incompetent Buffalo VARO?)

I say that from personal experience, yet my neighbor filed in June and got an award in about 4 months from Buffalo.So they do have competent people there as well.

He has been bugging me for how to get more retro- but over the past 20 years I urged him to file for higher rating many times and he never would.