VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Training on how to navigate VA system

Rate this question

drago

Question

Hi All,

Is anyone aware of any free or reasonable cost training on how to navigate the VA system (file claims, higher level reviews, new evidence, etc)? My VSO who is/was excellent has moved on, and I'm sort of floundering without him and his system access. The folks in the county office are both new, and well intentioned, but I'm not sure they have the level of access to my file that he had. The one guy says he doesn't yet have the ability "to see behind the curtain", and the other fellow is newer than him, so I'm guessing he can't either.

Called a couple places (DAV and state office) but waiting on return calls, and realized as has been said in the forum before, no one will care about my claim like I will (and my previous VSO did). More knowledge can't hurt anyway.  I also just submitted online for my c file, but I don't think that will give me "live" access. I think I just get a pdf or pack of copies.

Anyway, looking for something that will help me manage my claim better if I do end up alone or working with a rookie VSO. Probably a bit above "VA for Dummies", but not much above that...

Thanks for any help or suggestions, and my apologies as this is probably on the forum already, I just cant seem to locate it,

D

I have purchased the VBM from NVLSP since 1991.

I also took their Basic Training course in 1997.

The VBM is packed full of good information but always contains a lot of info from the prior VBM- this is why- I used to work for lawyers and part of my job was to attach supplements to existing books on civil law. Supplements contain the latest changes to laws in th state of NY.

NVLSP only listed one Supplement booklet, it is far better now because although thy repeat what is in the oler version, they incorporate new changes in each annual manual in a very easy way to read the supplements that are incorporated so no need to have to read additional pamphlets, they would have to prepare.

Every VBM has a page right away of what is new-and th manuals are full of egal citations and regulations that can support a myraid of claims.

In 1995 the VBM  had very limited info on FTCA- and still does- they recommend highly that one should never file FTCA without a lawyer ( and also without a strong IMO/IME in most cases) but in 1995 I could not find a single lawyer or IMO doctor who would help me so I did what I do NOT recommend- I did the medical and legal work myself. And I won.

But I sure would have rather had a lawyer to pay because the work was difficult and Very time consuming, and I had no support system at all.

Then again the Office of General Counsel VA lawyers LOVE evidence and they can read so that made my FTCA the easiest case I ever had with the VA.... once I found out how much of my probative evidence the RO had not sent to them. VACO and OGC was shocked by that as well.

Edited by Berta
CTS

On 1/5/2022 at 8:02 AM, Berta said:

Then again the Office of General Counsel VA lawyers LOVE evidence and they can read so that made my FTCA the easiest case I ever had with the VA.... once I found out how much of my probative evidence the RO had not sent to them. VACO and OGC was shocked by that as well.

When is it appropriate to contact this office? At what stage of things can they get involved?

Edited by Rivet62