VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Claim closed. 40% what did I learn?

Rate this topic

ToxicSgt73

I do owe some thanks to this forum. Thanks. 

We had a rocky start back around 28 months ago. I was a mess. 

I started with an Intent to File, then I absorbed myself in research and my multiple file boxes of medical evidence. I requested my DD214 and my STR's. I looked at what was in my STR's and what I knew had happened to me in the service. 

I tried to figure out how to file a claim with a strategy.  I failed.  I should have filed for tinnitus and one other of my 'slam dunks' (I know, there are no such things) (but, in my case yes there were a few).  I knew that was the right strategy.  But, I struggled with all those legitimate claims that I also knew should get filed and granted.

When the Intent to File was about to expire, and I had not found the kind of help I needed to help me organize to develop a coherent strategy....I was breaking down, and with some push from a VA social worker, I just walked down the hall to the nearest VSO to just get it done.  Which I did.

This VSO didn't even complete the typed lines across for claim information (was this a legitimate strategy?) I had to have her trim the list after she insisted I should file everything she listed after she had talked to me for about 15 minutes.  I removed a few things, and I was still looking at 12 claims.  I know.  I was sick at the time and not thinking all that good. And I just closed my eyes, signed it, turned it over and prayed. 

A long time passed and I was sent a development letter, to which I responded with as much evidence in the 30 days the letter said I had to respond (I believe now I should have kept sending stuff as I completed it) based on what I learned from this site and well as other places.  I choose to pick the two claims that I had the most evidence that was a direct match for the ratings criteria.  I didn't have nexus letters for anything.  It is not that I didn't try. My expeience was I was not only not getting any nexus letters from the VAMC, I was not getting favorable information put into my records often enough.  Usually only when I fought them to do it. Or went around them.  I was getting some good care from most of the providers (but still not getting things written in the right ways to help).

I was able to get a good case built for 2 of the claims, hemmoroids and chronic sinusitis.  Caluza 1) STRs were solid for these two. 2) medical evidence and a lay statement, with a current diagnosis and chronic history, being treated by VA for both. 3) no nexus letters. 

This had taken me 30 days to get this much done.  I was able to get a few more things for a couple more claims (which helped, as I can see in my decision letter) but, I didn't even get my 'statement of claim' for each claim uploaded, or if I did, these don't show up online.  I do know I was wasted and frazzled and it took me a month to recover, to realize that I had really screwed up.  I had a chance to upload evidence (which I had) for each claim, and to upload statements for each one, but, like I had been searching for someone to help me......I couldn't get it done....maybe that is why I am not working? It sucks.....

Why did I bring this up? 

Let me break it down: 

- the claims that I uploaded the evidence got granted. Hemmoroids max 20% a real documented pain, and STRs backed it up.  Chronic Sinusitis, 10% same evidence but, I was lowballed even with evidence and what I thought to be a good C&P questioning.

- tinnitus - know your MOS or AFSC or whatever it is called where you served. And know all the noise sources.  (Mine was retired, and the new crosslisting  was for 'Special Purpose Vehicle Maintenance' with a moderate risk listed.  Not quite accurate for a F106 Weapons Control Systems Mechanic with HIGH risk.  Thankfully the C&P examiner was helpful, and laughed about the crosslisting, and told me this kind of thing is common (nah)...he also asked me about ground equipment possibly being in use when I worked on aircraft (duh, why hadn't I thought about that?) So, tinnitus 10%, and I got bilateral hearing loss at 0% (only because of the word test, being NOT the right one) (on purpose? I suppose).

-big toes - bad toenail surgery both toes, old time cauterization leave nasty residuals that actually have caused documented (and suggested by VA docs) arthritis in both big toes, I have loss downward movement in left great toe and upward movement is impossible without great pain, and this has lead to a painful heel spur in the other foot....now I get secondaries off the 0% bilateral great toes for (fungus) VA Claim switched the name.  I didn't upload anything here.

- other numerous claims- I got a lot of help in the decision letter to go forward on these.

- I had 12 C&P DBQ pre questionaires from QTC contractor.  I was contacted in November to set up exams.  I learned that I could shop the exams for others that were available earlier in time than what was offered to me.  I actually had two cancelled and rescheduled for earlier exams (I made sure that this would not hurt me). And give up that the exam has be next door to your house.  I drove 85 miles to two of mine and also for a diagnostic test.  I had 10 C&P exams lumped into one....(I know...)

So....what did I learn and what can I offer to others.

-start small, only give the VA something easy to start with

-write a good supporting 'statement of claim' for each claim

-upload all the evidence you have, I even uploaded some articles that supported my missing nexus

-review your STR's and exit medical/entrance exam, and structure claims accordingly...

- get lay statements that support claims, I uploaded two, one for sinus (it will also support a secondary that I haven't even mentioned) and one for my T7, T8, T9 fractures (which was claimed as back condition, and is a battle I will fight in the coming days)

-when you overload as I did many times in the 28 months from Intent to File to Claim Closed.....take a break for a few months and stay away from all of it.

- when you get questionaires to fill out before the C&P exams....give this your best effort. and make copies for yourself to have on hand and to keep.

- its time now for a couple of IMO's to get the high value claims that the decision letter tells me all I am missing is the nexus

So.

I got helpful info from this site in the past.

The VA benefits machine isn't all bad....some of it seems to work pretty good, albeit too damn slow. 

Everything I am seeing, what was granted and what was denied.....and WHAT that decision states....is everything one reads on this site and everywhere else....its complicated just like my claim is, was, and will continue to be....and yours too...

Everything about this process is documented....somewhere.....and that is on purpose.  Makes it all legal, not easy.  Nothing given, if not asked for, if not listed somewhere, and not in the right way.  

Do the best you can, and then wait.  Pray.

Good Advice!!!!!

Congrats on the award as you have gotten a foot in the door!

• Community Owner

And now you education continues. There are plenty of people her to help. There are no dumb questions only unanswered one's that will bit you in the but if you don't ask.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use