VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Myasthenia Gravis

Rate this question

D Evans

Question

I’m new here. I was with the 9 Med Battalion C company in Vietnam in 1967 . I have found older posts on Myasthenia. Thought if I started a new one it might get more attention. Most Myasthenia claims seem to be denied. I and others have found a few that have been granted. Wondering why some would and some would not. These are a couple I’ve found. 
They appear to have bee filed well after the one year requirement for Myasthenia Gravis.

Citation Nr: 1534590

Decision Date: 08/13/15    Archive Date: 08/20/15

DOCKET NO.  11-14 918A ) DATE

Entitlement to service connection for myasthenia gravis is granted.

Citation Nr: 0827706

Decision Date: 08/15/08    Archive Date: 08/22/08

DOCKET NO.  06-20 273 ) DATE

FINDINGS OF FACT

1. On November 6, 1989, the veteran filed a formal claim for 

VA compensation or pension for myasthenia gravis, which the 

RO adjudicated as a claim for pension, and in a rating 

decision in June 1990, the RO granted pension

Hadit.com

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

In my recent thread here, I found 2 more MG awards:
https://community.hadit.com/topic/31786-myasthenia-gravis-and-agent-orange/#comment-515916

"What remains is the nexus between the Agent Orange exposure during service in Vietnam and the currently diagnosed myasthenia gravis.  The testimony from the private doctors weighs in support of such nexus of current disability to service.  In May 4, 2016, Dr. K. wrote that there is a known correlation between exposure to Agent Orange and autoimmune disease.  July 2016, Dr. A. wrote a letter that talks about causation for myasthenia gravis and states that there is “a strong relationship between [Agent Orange] exposure and the development of human autoimmune and neurological disorder,” noting that myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder.  In April 2017, Dr. S. wrote that there is a known correlation between exposure to [Agent Orange] and autoimmune disease and stated his opinion that prolonged exposure in Vietnam to Agent Orange is the cause of the Veteran’s myasthenia gravis.  In July 2019, Dr. A. described the causation of myasthenia gravis, prescribing the scientific mechanism of how an environmental agent transforms normal cellular function into abnormal autoimmune cellular disease like myasthenia gravis.  Dr. A stated that it is his professional opinion that the exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam is more likely than not the direct cause of his diagnosis of myasthenia gravis.  Resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds that the nexus requirement is met to warrant service connection for myasthenia gravis."   38 U.S.C. § 5107; 38 C.F.R. § 3.102. 

https://www.va.gov/vetapp20/files2/20013838.txt

In the second link I posted, the veteran had a strong independent medical opinion as well-

"In contrast, a private physician in an August 2020 correspondence noted that the Veteran had no other risk factors that may have directly precipitated his myasthenia gravis which resulted in thymoma. The physician opined that the Veteran's myasthenia gravis which resulted in thymoma was directly precipitated by is in-service herbicide exposure as Agent Orange was a known risk factor for myasthenia gravis."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp21/files7/21046990.txt

It is my strong belief after being involved in the AO issue since 1991 ( my husband and I ,as his widow ,were in the original AO Settlement Fund) ,that any disability not on the AO presumptive list would need a strong independent medical opinion, to establish a nexus, assuming the veteran had proven exposure to AO.

Also Myasthenia gratis is  a Chronic Presumptive under 38 CFR 3.309 (to include 38 CFR 3.307) as I also posted here recently.

Chronic presumptives should never be overlooked when filing claims.