VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Supplemental claim was closed?

Rate this question

XIbodybag

Question

Hey fellow vets.  I filed a supplemental claim with an IMO tying my sleep apnea to my ptsd on sept 21st.  In mid october it went to prep for decision and today the claim is reading "closed" but not "the va has made a decision".  I looked up the meaning for it saying "closed" and the va website states that if it says closed it may mean this

Your Supplemental Claim was closed We closed your Supplemental Claim. This may be because you didn’t take an action VA requested.

I dont get it.  I've been in constant contact with the VA 1800 number (as in calling weekly) and they kept saying prep for decision and nothing further was needed...so why would it be closed with no decision?  Of course I cant call the VA today because they are closed in observance of the holiday.

14 minutes ago, pwrslm said:

Maybe a glitch in the software or the RO put in the info and hit the wrong button...

Was there any change in your rating percentages? Check this on va.gov .

No no change at all, i did more research and people on reddit have said it'll first say closed and then change to the vba has made a decision with supplemental claims.  So hopefully that's whats going on.

Usually that would go (internally, anyway) the other way round. A claim isn't considered closed until a decision is mad, or if there is a procedural problem such as being an invalid claim (526 filed, should have been on an 0995/0996, as one example).

• Community Owner

Could be caught up in the VA mail delay of 30+ days. My last one took 31+ days.

So it finally was updated and I recieved my denial letter.  Any advice on what I should do?  It seems like they completely ignored my IMO.  My contention, and the doctors contention, is that my secondary disability claim of sleep apnea is made WORSE by my PTSD and not caused by my PTSD.  It seems they ignored the IMO completely.  Attached are the decision and the IMO.

decision letter edited.docx IMOedited.docx