VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay is incorrect

Rate this question

1454th Solider

Question

I recently received my retro pay for an issue that was granted by the BVA. My backpay should have started at my effective date 6/18/2020, which is around 41 months of back pay. The RO only paid for 30 months according to my calculation. What can I do to get the RO to correct the error?

Did you account for the difference in awarded percentages for each year as you calculated? You'll only get payment for the difference between your original total rating and the new percentage, then you need to look at what X percent rating is in each of the years prior. Its something that catches a lot of people when they are trying to calculate retro payments. They may have done it incorrectly, and you do have the right to request an audit also. 

1 hour ago, shrekthetank1 said:

I know my math can be off from time to time, but with that effective date, it is only 18 months of back pay.  Also @brokensoldier244th is correct in each year the pay changes.  Also it depends on when each of the percentages changed.  

Sorry, I meant to say 06/18/2018 not 2020. Thanks for the quick reply.

2 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Did you account for the difference in awarded percentages for each year as you calculated? You'll only get payment for the difference between your original total rating and the new percentage, then you need to look at what X percent rating is in each of the years prior. Its something that catches a lot of people when they are trying to calculate retro payments. They may have done it incorrectly, and you do have the right to request an audit also. 

Thanks, for your explanation I was only 10% back in 06/18/2018 and the new BVA award for lower lumbar was also 10% with effective date 06/18/2018. How can I request an audit form the RO.

Of course, I dont know if its correct or not.  But, if you have calculated it carefully, then yes, send an audit request to your VARO "fiance department".  

I dont recommend mailing it to Janesville, but instead to your VARO.