VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA & SSA Question

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a letter from the reginiol office about  where they prepose to reduce my benefits due to my wife passing Oct 6th 21

I recieved  (Regionall Office) letter from the Redional Office Director and mention my spouse had passed away Qct 6th 2021 And sent his condolances 

the letter goes on to mention

''We propose to change your benefits effective Nov 1 2021 because you are no longer  eligible to recieve additional benefits  from your (spouse).'' <her Name.

''WE are making this change  because your current award Includes an additional dependent benefit's  This may Include  the termination  of benefit's, If the dependent was in Receipt of Social Security Death Benefits   then a one time  Social Security  benefit of 255.00 will be counted for one year following the dependents passing.''.

anybody Know what that means? 255.00 ?? one time  will be counted for one year following the dependent passing????

I did Report her death to my reginiol office IN Oct  around the Oct 10th I belive ,   anyway I wrote them and appeal the wife recuction in benefits   which I know will be denied, at the time I was worried about what to do wth all her income gone, in this letter they mention I could Appeal the dependent reduction and I will keep getting full benefits until the appeal is denied or approved   I did this to keep the  full  $$ coming in   and it has,  and the raise we got with COLA, I sent the letter with return reciept (green card)  they show to have sign for it on 0ct 20 2021...I have not heard a word from them  and I am still getting full benefits.  other than the first letter   propose to reduce my dependent benefit's.

Today I sent them another letter asking them to take away my wife benefits and let me know what I will be getting after her reduction. (with green card)

SSA office will not contact me back either  on a letter I sent them asking if I am entitled to any of my late wife SS Disability  or when she turned 65 they mention it was SSA Penison  or regular retirement  they diidn't make that clear.

it could be SSDI still  I don't know for sure?  never paid that much attention to her SS $$

In my letter today I ask them to make the reduction and  because I do not want to have to pay the VA Back  with over payment for the VA Mistake.

I await their responce.

I just don't won't to have to pay back a couple thousand bucks because they didn't take her benefits away and keep paying them.  it most likley won't be that much She died Oct 6th 21  I let them know Oct 10 th they got it Oct 20th 21

so Nov AND Decmeber  and Jan 22.  so I guess 3 montlhy dependents benefits   and to included her A&A she just got a 3 months before her death.  so what ever the dependent pay is and that 160.00  I will need to pay back.

I  apolgize for not being on hadit I just been keeping busy  doing things with my church and finish redoing the kitchen the wife had going before she got so sick  I have it all compleated (well not actually me but  the contractors  ect,,ect,,, except the Living room she wanted the carpet ripped up and hard wood floors put down..that is the only thing I like

..I did sell her car back to the Toyota Dealership we got it from,  we owed 31.000.00 on it they gave me 32.000.00  but I got rid of the payments.  I also sold my Truck and got a used RX 350 Lexus  which runs like a new one   I have payments on it too but there like 235.00 month.  my truck transmission started acteing up so I got rid of it traded it in on the LEXUS   WHICH THEY GAVE ME A HIGHER TRADE IN PRICE THAN KBB offer.

I kept busy these last couple months  but I know I am depreessed,  I do the VIRTUAL MEETINGS with my VA L.C. SOCIAL  WORKER THERAPIST  SHE IS WORRIED ABOUT ME   BUT I TELL HER I KEEP ON HANGING IN THERE.

WORKING Christmas things with the Church  but Christmas is Gone and I Hit Reality again.

its tough at night time during the day is just now becaome another day gone...I am counting my days of my passing. whic we never know when that will happen.  but I do think about it alot lately.

Blessings to you all 

3 answers to this question

"Do we pay death benefits?

A one-time lump-sum death payment of $255 can be paid to the surviving spouse if they were living with the deceased. If living apart, they were receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record."

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/survivors/ifyou.html

Explains it here Buck,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Hamslice

The only thing I can't SS to return my calls  and during this covid 19 and the different variants  spreading  DELTA - SAR-CONV-2 And the latest  OMICRON they only take appointments to come to their offices...and you have to have  appoinment to go.

I been trying to contact them since Oct 10th,I did finally get to talk to some one in Kansas city,SSA Office,he said he would call my local SSA Office and have them to contact me to set up appointment,

I am still waited for that call to make my appointment.

This covid-19 sure has things screwed up in this world.

I Apprecaite ya Hamslice 

Bored? I get bored a lot. Can't work anymore, fall too much. They want me in a wheel chair, but I told them I would keep walking until I literally can't anymore.
Have you applied for the Independent Living Program through CH31 before? Maybe set up a wood shop or get a nice camera and go out to national parks and get pictures worth framing...lots of options.