VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Deductibles??!?! or is it really a Premium?

blahsaysme2u

Question

so wife finally using Champva. first claim processed and we get a bill in the mail. its $50 more than the doctors services tally up to. 

we call champva today and they let us know this is the deductible. but this doesn't makes sense to me. i worked in the insurance field for few years dealing with medicare and medicaid along with biggies like HUMANA and BCBS etc. from what i understand the doctor bill us for about 2k. champva paid their 75% and then they added the $50 bucks on top of our 25% co-insure payments(they didnt like me calling it a copay on the phone btw...they kept correcting me saying its "cost share") 

so, after we get off the call because i could see we were going no where and my wife was getting very frustrated, i did some googling just to make sure i wasnt crzy. i cant find any definition of the deductible in any of the champva info. i did however double check other insurances definitions and they all said something to the effect "pay for approved services billed at insurance allowables by the doctor up to the deductible amount and then coinsurance kicks in until max out of pocket" 

so what is going on here? why is champva defining a deductible as a separate billed line item on a doctor bill, completely separate from services provided by the doctor? and who is getting this money? seems like the doctors office is? are they sending our deductible payment to champva after champva has paid our bill? this all seems so hooky!

HELP?!?!?

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

This site has the CHAMPVA booklet-

We had a question about CHAMPVA from a spouse not too long ago and she said she would print off the Booklet- but I advised her that it is a very long pdf and best to keep the lin n a good spot on your PC, and copy and past those parts of it that are most important to you and save them in Word or Office org. etc.

This and other sites of you google CHAMPVA has good info too.

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/318

I think it has been years since Glenn Johnson was interviewed on many of our past radio shows-I dnt know if he is still with CHAMPVA and will try to find his contact info for you.

But if you search here for his shows at hadit, he probably answered your question as to the deductible already there-

Personaly I wishCHAMPVA was V&CHAMPVA

'Veteran and Civilian' because it is a far better program than the way VA often handles any veteran's medical care. VA saves lives every day-I absolutely believe that- but not every veteran, in my long years iof investigating the VA, as to 1151 and FTCA issues, and being a survivor of a wrongful death of my husband,(granted)  know not every veteran gets the best care they can get, from the VA.

My Incurance man had handled my H/O and Car insurance for years and one day long ago he asked if they could sell me medical insurance.

When I told him I had coverage from CHAMPVA he said 'Oh -we could never do better than that.'

"I think you need to call Glen Johnson, of the CHAMPVA program:

Glenn Johnson 303 331 7864

He has done many show here on how CHAMPVA works."

I posted this here in 2015  to a CHAMPVA recipient, but this might still be his contact # at CHAMPVA.

Buck, as a widow of 2 vets (27 years from one death, and 41 years from the other death,) two young men with 2 Hds each,  the grief never goes away but gets so much easier in time to deal with.

I was in shock for years at my USMC husband's sudden death and actually still am.

But those deaths prepared me for God's path for the rest of my life.

If Rod ( USMC Combat Vietnam) had not died I might not even have been  here because we were both on other vet sites , in the limits of the internet 27 years ago. Like the Prodigy Vets BBS , with a former BVA lawyer, but then again ,once we discovered hadit- if he had lived he would now be right here with me helping vets.

He knew more about DIC than I did long ago-I never gave DIC a thought -I focused on PTSD vets, and by 1991, I foused on Agent Orange (Nehmer)too.

BUT within a few months after he died, my neighbor asked me to go to the local volunteer fire Department with him, as they had an Open House display for the public.

My neighbor (20 years Ret USAF)  by then had been their prime ambulance driver, for years and had taken another ambulance call, the day Rod died. We have 2 ambulances, and they always called for a standby from another ambuance corp when both ambulances are in service.

I ended up joining the Fire Department auxillary and my daughter became a junior fireman before she entered the military. I stayed for 8 years until I enrolled into AMU.But still responded to many calls after I quit-if they needed me.

Once a volunteer  fire dept member- always a volunteer fire dept member.

It changed my life- when we are doing something for others, we can often easily put our grief aside and begin to not dwell on it too much. 

Buck You have helped so many here and that is one way to deal with your grief- and of course volunteering for a church was always part of my life -but often never doing something that could have the positive affect of being on  web site like this one,where what we do ,with the best advice we can possibly give others, emphatically can change lives for the better, for veterans, for their dependents, and for their survivors.

I am not suggesting you join a volunteer fire Department!  ( athough most of our members and many Chiefs were veterans)- I am suggesting you continue to help vets here- because 

your help has been invaluable to hundreds if not thousands ,including the many many guests who read these posts...hundreds every day.

Edited by Berta
CTS

Buck, before I lose Internet again- I certainly want you to know that we need you here--

And I sure do-I find myself inside an enormous cloud and will probably lose satelittle access very soon as I did  many times yesterday and twice this AM already.

It is like when you are flying and the plane gets into a cloud.Everything is white.

I have three enourmous windmills about 200 feet  from the highest point of my farm and I cannot even see them and that tells me I will lose access so I sure need you here because it prevents me from getting here-this situation might last for days-

my whole satelitte system was checked out a few weeks ago-everything on my end works fine. But clouds affect the signal from the satelitte. Thanks Buck

1 hour ago, Berta said:

"I think you need to call Glen Johnson, of the CHAMPVA program:

Glenn Johnson 303 331 7864

He has done many show here on how CHAMPVA works."

I posted this here in 2015  to a CHAMPVA recipient, but this might still be his contact # at CHAMPVA.

Buck, as a widow of 2 vets (27 years from one death, and 41 years from the other death,) two young men with 2 Hds each,  the grief never goes away but gets so much easier in time to deal with.

I was in shock for years at my USMC husband's sudden death and actually still am.

But those deaths prepared me for God's path for the rest of my life.

If Rod ( USMC Combat Vietnam) had not died I might not even have been  here because we were both on other vet sites , in the limits of the internet 27 years ago. Like the Prodigy Vets BBS , with a former BVA lawyer, but then again ,once we discovered hadit- if he had lived he would now be right here with me helping vets.

He knew more about DIC than I did long ago-I never gave DIC a thought -I focused on PTSD vets, and by 1991, I foused on Agent Orange (Nehmer)too.

BUT within a few months after he died, my neighbor asked me to go to the local volunteer fire Department with him, as they had an Open House display for the public.

My neighbor (20 years Ret USAF)  by then had been their prime ambulance driver, for years and had taken another ambulance call, the day Rod died. We have 2 ambulances, and they always called for a standby from another ambuance corp when both ambulances are in service.

I ended up joining the Fire Department auxillary and my daughter became a junior fireman before she entered the military. I stayed for 8 years until I enrolled into AMU.But still responded to many calls after I quit-if they needed me.

Once a volunteer  fire dept member- always a volunteer fire dept member.

It changed my life- when we are doing something for others, we can often easily put our grief aside and begin to not dwell on it too much. 

Buck You have helped so many here and that is one way to deal with your grief- and of course volunteering for a church was always part of my life -but often never doing something that could have the positive affect of being on  web site like this one,where what we do ,with the best advice we can possibly give others, emphatically can change lives for the better, for veterans, for their dependents, and for their survivors.

I am not suggesting you join a volunteer fire Department!  ( athough most of our members and many Chiefs were veterans)- I am suggesting you continue to help vets here- because 

your help has been invaluable to hundreds if not thousands ,including the many many guests who read these posts...hundreds every day.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO.

you too are so invaluable. this webiste has brought so many of us together in support not just in VA matters....but life...i am so thankful for everyone that contributes here and speaks up! (ill say it again, become a subscriber or patron if you arent already for those reading this down stream!)