VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obtaining TSA clearance for air travel

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I am permeant, total, IU 100% for several years now, I'm no 70w years young 😉 . I have heard somewhere that I could get a TSA number for myself & spouse at no cost, if I have a Commissary Letter, but I don't know if that is the way to go since there has been changes to eligibility to commissary privileges. I have online eBenefits Premium, not sure if that will help. Traveling from Boston to Hawaii mid February/2022. Where would I go if I have to go the commissary route - there is a Hanson AFB here near Boston.

Thanks & Mahalo

• HadIt.com Elder

HELLO X020574 WELCOME TO HADIT.  GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US,  COME TO HADIT ANYTIME.

i BELIVE YOU NEED TO DO THIS.

Veterans can apply for TSA Precheck on their own through the TSA Precheck application program. The program costs $85 to cover the cost of a background check. Military spouses are not normally screened the way service members are and so the government can not ensure that they are cleared.

To receive a expedited screening number to get the 10 digit  DOD ID#  FOR PROCESSING CLEARANCE FOR AIR TRAVEL

I AM NOT 100% SURE   BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER USED THIS ''BENEFIT.''

It's not free for veterans. It's free for members of the military because they undergo periodic reinvestigations. 

DOD and Homeland Security employees get it free. I got it free when I worked for CBP.  

8 hours ago, Buck52 said:

HELLO X020574 WELCOME TO HADIT.  GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US,  COME TO HADIT ANYTIME.

i BELIVE YOU NEED TO DO THIS.

Veterans can apply for TSA Precheck on their own through the TSA Precheck application program. The program costs $85 to cover the cost of a background check. Military spouses are not normally screened the way service members are and so the government can not ensure that they are cleared.

To receive a expedited screening number to get the 10 digit  DOD ID#  FOR PROCESSING CLEARANCE FOR AIR TRAVEL

I AM NOT 100% SURE   BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER USED THIS ''BENEFIT.''

Thanks Buck52, I'll be shelling out the $85.00 x 2. I thought at one time, maybe 5, 6 years ago TSA did accept DOD #, I was told you could get an ID if you had a letter for Commissary Privileges butut now, you had to be 100% to get that letter. But now you can just use your VA Health ID to use Commissary, so everybody and their uncle gets a bit more challenging to keep tabs on ;)  

also found this:

https://govtrackinsider.com/vets-safe-travel-act-would-let-disabled-and-severely-injured-veterans-enroll-in-tsa-precheck-578a66661911

this is a law they are trying to pass to allow vets into the Pre Screen program... hope that helps