VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obtaining TSA clearance for air travel

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I am permeant, total, IU 100% for several years now, I'm no 70w years young 😉 . I have heard somewhere that I could get a TSA number for myself & spouse at no cost, if I have a Commissary Letter, but I don't know if that is the way to go since there has been changes to eligibility to commissary privileges. I have online eBenefits Premium, not sure if that will help. Traveling from Boston to Hawaii mid February/2022. Where would I go if I have to go the commissary route - there is a Hanson AFB here near Boston.

Thanks & Mahalo

and more:

Alternatives for Military Spouses for TSA PreCheck

Some credit card programs offer their cardholders travel benefits that can include credits for fees paid to TSA PreCheck services.

American Express offers an application fee credit for either the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fees. This covers either a $100 statement credit for the Global Entry program, or an $85 statement credit for TSA’s program. 

Based on whichever application fee is charged to your eligible American Express card, only one credit will be given in a 4 (Global Entry) or 4.5 (TSA) year period.

The following cards also offer a similar benefit:

Using the rewards and benefits from many of these cards can provide the military spouse with an essentially “free” TSA PreCheck or Global Entry account.

Yup the $85 is a bit much but not really, the pre check status lasts 5 years. The process was fairly easy.  I went to a Staple's in Southside OKC and the process was quite painless. If they pass that legilation for disabled Veterans mentioned above that would be sweet. 

Edited by ArNG11
time frame refrence

17 hours ago, blahsaysme2u said:

yeah i did this before i got out. i dont know how long it last for tho...anyone got idea on that?

Have you used it since you got out? If it worked after you got out then I would think it would last for the remainder of the 5 years but I'm not sure.

I had it free while working for CBP and our employee number was used as the TSA recheck number. I was traveling after I left CPB and wasn't sure if it still worked so I went ahead and paid $85 because I didn't want to run into any issues at the airport.  

7 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Have you used it since you got out? If it worked after you got out then I would think it would last for the remainder of the 5 years but I'm not sure.

I had it free while working for CBP and our employee number was used as the TSA recheck number. I was traveling after I left CPB and wasn't sure if it still worked so I went ahead and paid $85 because I didn't want to run into any issues at the airport.  

i didnt realize it expired. i never used it. i just did it bc i was getting out and they told me i should do it before i got out. i been out since 2009. i rarely fly. 

Thanks everyone,  I finally broke down and paid $85 each for my wife and myself. I filled out the application, chose a Staples near my home as a walk in. (appt were 2 months out). Two days later I walked into Staples and three days after that my wife and I got our KTN (known traveler numbers) via email. Also, took us both to a local Army base with my commissary letter and got our CAC cards. Incidentally, as previously mentioned, they are good for 5 years, then you have to reapply. 

Congrats on being 100% IU and planning a trip to Hawaii! As for TSA clearance, getting a TSA PreCheck number is a good idea if you want to make your airport experience smoother. I don't know about the Commissary Letter option, but you could also try applying for Global Entry, which includes TSA PreCheck and is a good fit for you. And if you're feeling fancy, you could always book business class flights for extra comfort on your journey. As for where to go to apply for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, you can check out the TSA website for more info. Good luck, and have a great trip!

Edited by VaneGreat