VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Leaving military soon what should I do?

Rate this question

Deagle

Question

Hello all, 

I'm currently active duty and will be separating within the year. 

I've had a ton of surgeries while in and I'm not sure how thing will work for the process of getting benefits and care for when I leave the military. I am looking at going Guard to finish my 20 years because I'm so close (I'll be 19 years total, but only 15 active). 

I, like many people, had burn pit exposure which led to terrible sinus problems and surgery to remove polyps. The surgeon could not get all of them and I have more or less constant sinus pressure, infections, and stuffieness. I dont take anything other than OTC meds. I also had shoulder surgery where I tore my labrum, capsul, and rotator cuff, I still have arthritis in this arm. I also had right knee surgery to resurface the joint do to something called a plica. Finally I've had 5 foot surgeries for Hallux Rigidus that resulted in implanting synthetic cartilage in one foot and fusion of the other. The foot with the synthetic cartilage will need a fusion eventually as it's failing. 

Will I be able to claim these items so that I can have future care?

I have also been diagnosed with PTSD (i go to the local Vet center for treatment), carpal tunnel in both hands, sleep apnea (getting a sleep study done for CPAP use), migraines, IBS, depression, tinnitus, degenerative disc disease in my neck and back (VA wanted to fuse my spine when I was only 30 years old), my lungs are pretty well messed up and i have a constant cough/chest congestion, insomnia, and high blood pressure. 

I only take naproxen for the pain and a pill for high blood pressure and a migraine pill 3-4 times a month when i get migraines to stop them, my base doc said to stay away from the preventative migraine meds because it'll make my brain dependant and if I ever stopped it would make the condition worse. I take allergy meds for my sinuses, Claritin Flonase or similar. 

How do I proceed so that I can stay in the Guard but also ensure that I have benefits for the future? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My base doesn't offer anything for transitioning active duty (it's a Guard base with active component) so I'm trying to learn as I go. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Deagle
Typo

23 hours ago, Deagle said:

I'm on a small guard base so I have to drive a couple hours to go through the TAP process. My base didn't even mention its Congressionally mandated and I had to set everything up on my own. Do I tell them what I want to claim and just show them medical records? Do I need buddy statements even though I have proof I was active duty at the time of diagnosis?

Sorry for all the separate questions, I just want to be prepared for everything ahead of me. 

I got out nearly 22 years ago so it may be different now. I didn't have any records, buddy statements or anything with me. I was literally going in there only because I had to check it off the list. As I said before, I didn't think I qualified for anything and I knew nothing of the process. I was asked what I wanted to claim and I ended up claiming 2 things and I was granted 10% for each. They gathered all of my records. 

You should go through your medical records if you have them and make a list of things to claim and just take whatever evidence you have in there with you. 

As other stated I would get all medical records.

And any accident reports of my injury's

I would get were I was exposed to the burn pit. And get statement from buddy now.

Lot easier than try to find them to get statements.

I would put everything together a put in the claim 6 months before I exit.

When you are released take your record to the va hospital near you and have them put in your record.

It will help with getting treatment when you exit. And them understand your condition.

Good luck

"Can I join the National Guard with VA disability?
You can join the National Guard or Reserves with a VA service-connected disability rating – if you are medically cleared. But it does affect your pay and benefits. Make sure you keep this in mind if you have a VA disability rating and you are considering joining the Guard, Reserves, or even active duty.Aug 20, 2020"

https://themilitarywallet.com/join-guard-reserves-va-service-connected-disability-rating/#:~:text=Summary-,You can join the National Guard or Reserves with a,Reserves%2C or even active duty.

The site has a disclaimer:

"Note about individual applications to join the military with a VA disability rating: We are happy to answer questions in the comments about the overall process, but we cannot comment on individual medical conditions or the likelihood of a veteran being able to join with Guard or Reserves with their specific medical condition. Each application and medical waiver is handled on a case by case basis by MEPS, and if it gets far enough, the Surgeon Generals office of the respective branch the veteran is applying to join. It is recommended that you contact a recruiter and work closely with them on the process. Be prepared to do a lot of leg work on your own, as much of the work can only be done by you (such as getting medical notes from your doctor stating you are fit to serve in the military and coordinating appointments)."

Basically this is why we cannot determine here the answer to your question regarding if you could join the NG.

By MEPS they mean Military Entrance Processing Station.

As someone here mentioned, you can begin your VA claim while still in the Military . If they fo not have any Vet reps or VSOs who visit the base for this purpose you can contact one hopefully, on your own, to start a claim.

You said:

" My base doesn't offer anything for transitioning active duty (it's a Guard base with active component)"

Can you tell us the name and locale of this base?

On 1/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, Deagle said:

Sit down a document the reason you went to sick call or were seen by a Dr or had surgery. Make this list and claim everything on it now.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, Deagle said:

When you say reason, what do you mean? Like when I hurt my shoulder I was doing push-ups on the pushup stand things and my shoulder went out of the back of the socket tearing everything. Like documenting like cause of the injury? 

This is correct. This goes to link a condition that existed during active duty to an condition that you currently have. If the condition no longer exists, then it will not be SC because they will say it is completely healed and is no longer expected to be a problem. VA is required to provide reason and basis for claims not approved (they should also provide the same if the claim is approved). By provided the reason it minimizes the odds that your claim will be denied.Look at section 5 here.5.  Basic Information on Reasons for Decision

You should find your county VSO and set up an appointment to discuss your benefits with them.  They should be familiar with BDD claims and work with you through the process. In my opinion, this claim will set the foundation for others that may occur in the future and you want to get it completed correctly.