VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File turn around time

Rate this question

Scottish_Knight

Question

Right then, last year August I submitted the VA 20-10206 form requesting a copy of my C-file.  From what I read, the most recent of which was March 2021, the turn around was 6-8 weeks.  Aye, I know better than to believe that.  End of October, I rang the VA and was told the form was received and in the queue.  Ok.  Mid December, roughly 14 weeks in, I rang again.  Still in the queue. 

As I am coming up on the 5 month mark (20 weeks roughly) , does anyone know the current wait time on receiving the C-File?  Does it come per post or digitally sent to one's email?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Scottish_Knight said:

Right then, last year August I submitted the VA 20-10206 form requesting a copy of my C-file.  From what I read, the most recent of which was March 2021, the turn around was 6-8 weeks.  Aye, I know better than to believe that.  End of October, I rang the VA and was told the form was received and in the queue.  Ok.  Mid December, roughly 14 weeks in, I rang again.  Still in the queue. 

As I am coming up on the 5 month mark (20 weeks roughly) , does anyone know the current wait time on receiving the C-File?  Does it come per post or digitally sent to one's email?

I can say I've given up on that, so I called 1-800-Peggy and they said I can get my C-File at any VARO closest to me (my actual VARO that is processing my Vet's claims is in a former state of residence, but that doesn't matter because ANY VARO can pull up your file and print it). It's worth it to me to drive the 1.5 hours to sit down and look through my file and get it printed out right then and there or burned to disc so I can walk out with it. Now that's what 1-800-Peggy says, but I haven't done this yet. Peggy says I can have it printed or burned right then and there, but my dumb luck would have me returning to the VARO because so and so called out sick or that's not the way they do it... bla bla bla.  I don't know how to reach the actual VARO by phone that I want to visit. I'd like to make sure I can get before I make the drive. Also, the fed govt is up to old tricks, shutting down lobbies and public visits, "'cause Covid.." so that adds a wrinkle. I might drive to the VARO only to find notices taped to the doors. I went to my local SSA office a couple days ago, just to get copies of my SSA earnings (employment records). Notices taped to door, "Lobby closed, call 1-800-we-care, appointments for urgent only" and I'm sitting there in the empty parking lot thinking I'm not going to get my employment records anytime soon.  So call ahead to find out if the VAROs are closed due to Covid.

Oh oh. I just realized you're in Germany. Consulate at a US Embassy maybe can help speed things. Otherwise, you have a long trip to a VARO. I see some US military bases have Vets claims processing assistance (VARO-like services). It appears, according to VA.gov locations that some offer some services and others don't. You have to hunt it.

Edited by Rivet62
Added 'closed fed govt offices' and US military bases for VARO-like services.

I have seen people post that calling their Rep in Congress to try and get some traction. 

Due to HIPAA and PII, I think they can only mail it on CD. I don't think the VA has a very good delivery system for encrypted emails. 

I find its a shame that we cant log into the VA portal and download our own C-File. The Blue button allows us to download a lot off PII, why not the whole C file? 

Someone with access can pull up your file, like a VSO. Will they print off a copy for you? Who knows. 

Since you are in Germany, you might find a VSO at the nearest base VFW.  There are also VA reps located in Vilseck and K-Town. Dont know how far away that is for you. Or if they can assist? 

https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/oms_Coordinators.asp

I filed my FOIA to get my C-File in Nov and I can't see why these things take so long! I want my file before I appeal ... only way now to see what the C&P says.  I kinda think that's why the VA takes so long in getting these to us.. sneaky! 

Good luck and keep us updated.

6 hours ago, Al329 said:

Someone with access can pull up your file, like a VSO. Will they print off a copy for you?

No. Not mine. Job security, my attorney's, perhaps.

7 hours ago, Rivet62 said:

No. Not mine. Job security, my attorney's, perhaps.

True, unfortunately having VBMS access does not mean they will assist you. 

I would drop that VSO and find one who actually wants to help vets.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Years ago before COVID, it took less than a year for them to print and mail my c-file. It arrived in a very large cardboard box.

In 2019, I requested a copy of my c-file on CD. After about a year, the VA closed the request as completed, but I never received anything. I did some complaining and eventually I got a call from the St. Louis VARO. They said my request was closed in error and they were going to resend it. I got it shortly afterwards.