Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Camp Lejeune water and Male Infertility



Greetings All,

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with being service connected for male infertility due to exposure to Camp Lejeune's toxic water?  I was there for a full year from 84-85 with the 10th Marines (Hadnot Point water supply system).  I know this condition is not on the presumptive list, but that doesn't mean that you cannot apply for anything else that may be attributable to a condition on its own merits--correct?  Got out in 85 at 23 years old, got married for the first time in '98--since both my wife and I were older than average (I was 36 and she was 33), we started to try for a family almost immediately.  After quite a lot of trying (no complaints there), we decided that maybe we should get tested--turned out I was the problem. 

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) focused on four chemicals that were prevalent (perchloroethylene, trichloroethylene (TCE), vinyl chloride, and benzene), but the list of other chemicals found in the water is much more extensive.  There is some limited info available that shows that TCE can cause male infertility, but not a lot.  Some of the other chemicals that were identified are considered endocrine disruptors--many of these types of chemicals are known to cause problems with fertility.  I have yet to find any info on concentrations of these other chemicals, but I'm sure it's out there if I dig hard enough.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this, or even if not, some general advice would be greatly appreciated.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
  • HadIt.com Elder

You can apply for it on a direct basis if you have documentation of your time there, proof of exposure (this shouldn't be a problem- its well known), and a doctor that can and will link the existing literature to your specific circumstances. Sending in WebMD about Camp Lejeune won't help much- we all know that stuff anyway. What we don't know, and can't presume, except for the legally known presumptions, is that YOUR ED/fertility is tied to Camp Lejeune and Trichloro, etc. That's where your doctors opinion comes in. They have to tie your condition to that potential occurrence (since you were presumed sound when you entered) and allso (very important here- lots of docs skip/skimp on this one) WHY they think they are tied together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1
  • HadIt.com Elder

Id start with a urologist- they can look at/deal with some of the sexual function issues plus them handle things like vascular problems in the corpus and emissary veins, etc, and can check your prostate- which can be an indicator of a whole host of things that you might consider to be related. Even a GP can prescribe stuff for "Wednesday nights at 1030 after the kids go to bed" to help with that, and write the referrals that your VA or private insurance may need to get started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thanks brokensoldier244!  I wonder what type of specialist would be best to try to tap in to?  Endocrinologist? Toxicologist? Urologist?  Any other specialties that you can think of?  I would assume any of those that I mentioned would be better suited than a GP/family medicine MD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Similar Content

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective
      A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective

      This person is going to judge you. It’s their job, and that is why you are there. To be adjudicated fairly. How would you like to be remembered? A scuzzy stereotypical veteran? Or a troubled one who is doing the best they can?

      Do not talk about alcohol or drug-related issues. You are not there to be assessed for those problems. You are there to be evaluated for your psychiatric functioning as today relates to your service history. If the examiner asks about alcohol or drugs, politely remind them that you are not there for those issues if you’ve ever had them, but for how impaired you are in your daily functioning. It’s best to avoid even talking about them. Got a VA horror story? I can tell you a worse one. Don’t waste your time with how badly you believe you’ve been mistreated. The examiner only has a short time to figure out how impaired you are, and they need the facts, concise sentences, and not rambling rants that lead nowhere.
      • 0 replies
    • VA Math, Confusing, Right? Calculate Your Final Rating Percentage!
      10 + 50 = 50 and other VA math mysteries explained.

      VA Math It’s Not Your Mother’s Arithmetic 

      “VA Math” is the way that the VA computes combined impairment ratings for multiple conditions in a Veteran’s compensation benefits claim – and it requires that you unlearn real math. When a Veteran has multiple medical conditions that are service-connected and the Veterans Affairs rates each at a different percentage, it would seem that they should just add up your percentages to get to a total body impairment rating.
      • 2 replies
    • VA will propose adding rare cancers to the presumed service-connected list as related to military environmental exposure
    • Post in I need some help, please
      If you are looking for help taking care of him something like a home health aide that comes in during the week and helps with what he needs help with. For this I would contact your local VA hospital and ask to speak to the Social Worker, explain your situation, ask for help and how to proceed.

      If you are looking for additional compensation in the form of Special Monthly Compensation check out this video from CCK Law I think it will give you a good idea what it is and how to go about applying for it.

      For example there is a Special Monthly Compensation Rate for TBI try reading this article from The Veterans Law Blog on SMC T It is a subscription site but it allows you to view 3 articles for free a month.

      Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

      I hope this helps.

    • Post in I am now 100% P&T, what do I need to know to apply for Social Security Disability?
      You can now apply on line Read the below PDF or go here to Apply and read more https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/Ent002View.action

      Here is a checklist for what you will need

        • Like
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines