VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

msh2930

Question

We are working on getting Dad into a nursing home facility. We have been running into confusion with VA Social Workers and admissions people at the NH facility, asking if he’s 100% service connected. He is 100% permanent and total disabled, but they need documentation saying that he’s 100% SERVICE CONNECTED. When I look on the Ebenefits website, it does say he’s 100% for his hearing loss, and it is service-connected. But I’m not sure what documentation they are asking for, specifying that his 100% SERVICE CONNECTED..? They are saying they don’t need his disability rating, but proof that he was service-connected… Not sure how to get that documentation…? Kind of need it ASAP, because he’s like he’s going to be going to the NH on Monday. The local veterans services office says they can’t pull that up for him, because he did not file the claim at that particular office. The claim was filed by VFW claims rep at the local VA, who happens to be off until Tuesday…

I obviously can get proof of his 100% disability rating, but I’m not sure why or how to get documentation saying that he’s 100% service connected…? And it does say on Ebenefits site that his 100% disability is service-connected, but I think they’re getting confused, about this actual documentation saying he has service connected…? On his VA ID, it says service connected. We have been having this issue often on ever since he was looking to get to a nursing home often on the last couple years. Sometimes a VA social worker says yes he is 100% service connected, sometimes a VA social worker seems confused by it…. So I am just wondering how to prove he’s 100% service connected…? I was thinking the documentation rating saying so right from the VA when he was determined to be 100% P&T and that his hearing loss was service-connected, would be sufficient…? I am just honestly not sure what documentation they would need it…? Or who I would contact about it…? Everybody seems confused whenever I ask them about it…? Also, the NH admissions lady asked when he served, and I said the Korean War, and she seemed doubtful that he would be service-connected, saying “that was a short timeframe,” —without even seeing any of his documentation, she said that… I’m not sure what she meant by that, but she seem to imply that because he was only serving in the Korean War, he is not service-connected…??? So frustrating and aggravating…

Comment

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

msh2930 The easiest way to get it is call 800-827-1000 and tell the rep you need a letter from the VA on their letter head that says he is rated 100% and is service-connected. Shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do it yourself, go to va.gov and sign up to be in the system.  Fairly straight forward. Once approved, you can print out several types of letters from the VA depending on what info you select. But easiest way, just call the number, or have a VSO do it for you.

"So I am just wondering how to prove he’s 100% service connected".

This sounds like an outrageous "cluster" snafu.

When you say Nursing Home to you mean a VA CLC?

GBA gave you great advice -

I am sure they would accept a copy of his VA award letter for the 100% and/or any proof from his bank account to show he gets VA compensation at the 100% rate.

Every year in January, I  as a widow of a veteran, get a letter ,confirming my DIC benefits. I always give it to my Tax preparer-who needed proof from me long ago, that the DIC is not taxable income. I gave her the VA regulation for that.

Have any of you disabled vets gotten a letter like that?

Seems to me that might all he needs.

Have you contacted the Director of this VAMC?

If you tell me the name of the VAMC maybe I can find someone there for you to contact and straighten this out.

"Also, the NH admissions lady asked when he served, and I said the Korean War, and she seemed doubtful that he would be service-connected, saying “that was a short timeframe,” —without even seeing any of his documentation, she said that… I’m not sure what she meant by that, but she seem to imply that because he was only serving in the Korean War, he is not service-connected…??? So frustrating and aggravating…"

The NH admissions person is way out of her realm, on her ridiculous remanks about Korean War veterans- tell the Director what she said.

Some incountry Korean War veterans fall under the Agent Orange regulations, and

many are service connected for a myraid of disabilities.

I wonder how many were illegally denied admission because of this  NH admission person?

This is the basic criteria for CLC admission:

I am assuming he is fully enrolled into the VA Health Care System and his VA doctor would support the need for CLC care.

Something seems wrong here- something is missing-----

Who is eligible for this program?

To begin with, you are encouraged to enroll in the VA health care system (or qualify based on one of the exceptions in the law). Go to "Medical Benefits Package" to see the program requirements.

Mandatory eligibility is given to the following Veterans:

• Veterans who need nursing home care for their service-connected disabilities.
  • Veterans who are rated 70 percent service-connected or more.
  • Veterans who have a total disability rating based on individual unemployability.

If space and resources are available, other Veterans may be considered.Generally, to receive VA benefits and services the Veteran/Servicemember's discharge status must be under conditions other than dishonorable (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general). However, individuals receiving undesirable, bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharges may qualify for VA benefits depending on a determination made by VA."

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/304

If its on his benefit letter that he is 100% rated then its service connected. They don't include non-SC issues on those, and the letter  says Service Connected down near the bottom. 

Thank you all… I was able to fax a copy of his benefits letter to the nursing home admissions. Yes, it does say on there 100% service connected disability, permanent and total. So there should be no question or problem.

Berta, the CLC near us has been closed since March 20 20 because of Covid, with no signs of it opening up anytime in the near future, and he is like number 18 on the waitlist, anyway for the CLC....So this is a VA contracted nursing home. He’s been enrolled in the VA healthcare program system for years, and also has been receiving VA HBPC for almost a year. 

Thanks again, everyone… Hopefully we get this squared away for him soon...

Comment

glad you were able to find what you needed. please if you need more help dont hesitate. there are lots of vets here with lots of expertise in many different areas..

thank you to your father for his service from one vet to another. and thank you for taking such good care of him in his time of need!