VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requirement(s) for SMC's

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Morning folks,

Correct me if I'm wrong: In order to be eligible for SMC's, you must have one condition, or combined conditions that are either 100% Schedular/IU..., AND..have other SC condition(s) that are totally separate from your 100% Schedular/IU that are at least rated at 60% or higher.

Q. Can these other SC conditions stated above have a COMBINED rating of 60%+, or must EACH SC condition be 60%+?

Thanks,

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

toddt,

So if I'm understanding you correctly, 100% combined Schedular and/ or IU doesn't qualify for SMC's?

You have to have ONE condition that's rated at 100%?

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

For the purposes of SMC an IU condition can be your 100%, but the conditions that add up to 60% or above cannot be encompassed as part of the IU rating. You can be considered housebound extraschedularly, also, though it is rare. 

When you get into an IU condition being the 100% it starts to get convoluted due to Bradley v Peake, though. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Bradley v. Peake, 22 Vet.App. 280 (2008) The provisions of 38 U.S.C. § 1114(s) do not limit a “service-connected disability rated as total” to only a schedular 100-percent rating. A TDIU rating may serve as the “total” service-connected disability, if the TDIU entitlement was solely predicated upon a single disability for the purpose of considering entitlement to SMC at the (s) rate.