VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bladder cancer claim

Rate this question

12thcavmedic

Question

I presently have rating for PTSD, Tinnitus, Hearing loss and Prostate cancer.  In April 2021, I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. I filed a claim for Bladder cancer since it had recently been listed as one of the Presumptive diseases related to service in Vietnam and exposure to Agent Orange. The claim was received, evidence gathered and has been in review status since August2021. I thought since this was a presumptive cancer, the decision would be determined quicker. Has anyone received a decision for a bladder cancer claim? Thanks for any help and advice offered. 

I HOPE I would not have to prove boots on the ground all over again. If so it most surely is a delaying tactic. Yes Berta, I have a few stressors in my life. As I stated in my original question, I presently have service-connected rating for PTSD, Tinnitus, bilateral hearing loss and Prostate Cancer. I had Proctectomy in 201prostate they thought they had caught it early but in OR found it had broken through prostate wall. My PSA slowly rises each blood work test. The plan is observe PSA level, if it reaches 2.0 then a course of Salvage radiation would be required.                                                             Just as I began getting my head straight about the Prostate cancer, I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer April 2021. On 5/5/21 I had cancerous neoplasm removed from bladder. I have also been advised that my Prostate cancer is a very aggressive type, and the bladder cancer is the type that often returns.  They have all surgical and biopsy reports, not sure what else they may need for decision. I have read that Bladder Cancer and Prostate Cancer are very often found together from Agent Orange. I understand with Covid, and the number of claims filed there would be delays on decisions. I just thought my claim was somewhat straight forth and would not take as long.       Thank you all for your advice and understanding              DOC PAUL

Edited by 12thcavmedic

It has nothing to do with being a 'delaying tactic' as the person that would have processed the claim intake has no stake in whether it grants or not. We get the claim, look at it, and determine what is necessary for it to move forward, thats it. 

Im only speculating on the holdup for this claim. It may have nothing to do with records and everything to do with other things. Without seeing it I have no idea. Lets not attribute to malice things that are likely not. VSR's aren't paid to have agendas, and other than a sense of purpose we get nothing based on whether your claim is granted or isn't. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:22 AM, brokensoldier244th said:

VSR's aren't paid to have agendas, and other than a sense of purpose we get nothing based on whether your claim is granted or isn't. 

i know you have a vested and lets be honest- a bit biased opinion on the subject. and not saying one way or the other...but to say that the VA in general doesnt want to delay and deny claims i think you can see from the evidence is wrong(even from comments and questions here on HADIT).

i dont want to discuss it here on the OP's question- but felt it was worth noting that VSR's may not be told to have an agenda, but we can all see that if delaying or denying saves the VA money, that particular VSR is going to be thought of as "good at their job" while someone that pushes through vets to get claims awarded, in turn losing the VA lots of money(some hundreds of thousands in back pay) that VSR might not get a raise or worse be let go. saying they dont have an agenda seems a bit of cognitive dissonance. 

i think you probably do your job great and certainly great recourse here on HADIT for your fellow vets. and i hope you are right, unfortunately the VA has a bad track record. CUE's wouldnt be a thing if they did things by the book all the time....

and remember veterans moto for the VA: "Delay, Deny, Wait Till They gives up or Dies"

Edited by blahsaysme2u

3 hours ago, blahsaysme2u said:

i know you have a vested and lets be honest- a bit biased opinion on the subject. and not saying one way or the other...but to say that the VA in general doesnt want to delay and deny claims i think you can see from the evidence is wrong(even from comments and questions here on HADIT).

i dont want to discuss it here on the OP's question- but felt it was worth noting that VSR's may not be told to have an agenda, but we can all see that if delaying or denying saves the VA money, that particular VSR is going to be thought of as "good at their job" while someone that pushes through vets to get claims awarded, in turn losing the VA lots of money(some hundreds of thousands in back pay) that VSR might not get a raise or worse be let go. saying they dont have an agenda seems a bit of cognitive dissonance. 

i think you probably do your job great and certainly great recourse here on HADIT for your fellow vets. and i hope you are right, unfortunately the VA has a bad track record. CUE's wouldnt be a thing if they did things by the book all the time....

and remember veterans moto for the VA: "Delay, Deny, Wait Till They gives up or Dies"

Well, I suppose but since 4 or 5 of the people on my team this last year have well over 100,000 a piece in granted claims, including some Nehmer's that they caught errors on, we can agree to disagree on the saving money part. 2 of them were in my same training group locally. If VA was trying to save money they wouldn't have to go beg before Congress every year for money.....in part to pay you.

If your mindset is always going to devolve to thinking we all twist our mustaches every morning before work with an agenda to screw veterans then there isn't much more I can say on the subject. I appreciate that you appreciate my contributions here, and I like to contribute here- I feel that a view within the VA of what is happening benefits all of you.

In the same vein, its really hard to continuously take the brunt of "well, its not YOU........just everything that you work for and everyone that you work with........but YOU are Great (most of the time..."   Its tired. Yes the VA screws up, but good grief very few of anyone on there ever seems to appreciate that there are things that have gotten better. Instead, most of what I hear is bolstered up by stuff that happened years ago but still gets pulled out and presented to new veterans like it happened last month. This make them hesitate to file for things that they should- because I DO public contact events sometimes where I am , and I hear it all the time. "some site on the internet said......." blah blah blah.......

I'm kinda sick of it, because then I have to work three times as hard to get them to actually file for stuff. Private Snuffy Esquire is still alive and well and the amount of DIS information that these guys and girls get from places, including here, is astounding. Yes, the information on this site and others is usually, sometimes eventually, correct but they have to sift it out. You can't complain about veterans not getting benefits for years in one breath while also supplying  some of the attitude and opinions that make them not file in the first place. If I had a dollar for every veteran ive physically talked to that said they were hesitant about filing at all because all they have ever heard about the VA was bad........

Yes, I have some vested interest- ive never said otherwise. But I also feel that I try not to whitewash things too much, either. I may be more optimistic that some of you- can't help it, but the amount of things that some of you assume are done just because VA wants to f*ck with you is astounding- and contributes directly to what I mentioned up above- net result- fewer veterans filing, and is a lot of the reason most VSR's don't make it past the first year out of training. 

Im taking a few days off from here.

Best, to all of you.