Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Is multiple sclerosis eligible for CRSC?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have a questing relating to CRSC and multiple sclerosis. I was medically retired in 2015 after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

The wounded warrior folks helped me apply for CRSC, but when I received the CRSC letter, I was surprised to find multiple sclerosis was not listed, like I never even applied for it, and also surprising, IBS was now included (even though I didn't claim it), and that was the only thing that was approved.

I'm guessing maybe since IBS is considered presumptive? If that's the case, isn't multiple sclerosis also considered a presumptive condition?

Finally, should I send in a new application for MS since it mysteriously was not mentioned (neither approved or denied) in the award letter?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/information!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to hadit.  Here are the facts on presumptives, but dont fret too much about it being or not being on the presumptive lists.  

There are at least 2 other ways of getting SC for multiple sclerosis. 

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/serviceconnected/presumption.pdf

Did the DFAS award you with CRDP instead of CRSC?

I have posted a lot of info on these benefits here available under a search-most have links from Military.com.

https://www.dfas.mil/RetiredMilitary/disability/CRDP-CRSC-FAQs/

I do not see how MS can be "combat related" or the IBS- but we need more info here.

I dont undertand the rationale of the WWP. 

Many vets are eligible for both but must pick the one that is most beneficial to them as per the above link.

"It is possible to be eligible for both Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC). However, you cannot receive both of them at the same time. If you ’re eligible for both, CRDP/CRSC Open Season is when DFAS will send you a letter with instructions about how to change your election from one program to the other, if you choose.

2022 Open Season is January 1-31, 2022. Election change requests must be postmarked by January 31, 2022. "

"Finally, should I send in a new application for MS since it mysteriously was not mentioned (neither approved or denied) in the award letter?"

Can you scan and attach here that letter- are you service connected for  the MS, and Yes it is a presumptive.

Cover your C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.

"Since MS is considered a “presumptive” condition for veterans who begin experiencing symptoms of the disability within seven years of leaving active duty service, if you are a veteran with a multiple sclerosis diagnosis, you may be eligible to receive disability benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)."

https://vet.law/veteran-claims-lawyer/physical-conditions/multiple-sclerosis/#:~:text=Since MS is considered a,of Veterans Affairs (VA).

BTW - if ayone out ther is witthin that criteria for MS and has problems with their claim and they need an IMO/IME,  I highly rcommend Dr. Craig Bash, who is a veteran and who also has MS. And whose IMO/IMEs have helped many here ,to include me.

https://www.veteransmedadvisor.com/

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Yes, DFAS originally awarded me with CRDP.

I was assigned a WWP coordinator who told me about CRSC and helped me apply. After applying and being rated 30% CRSC for IBS, that's what I've received since.

Yes, the MS is service connected. I was diagnosed while active duty and is the reason I was medically retired.

I am rated 100% P&T by the VA.

I was denied for major depressive disorder, I believe I have a legitimate case for CRSC if I can locate the evidence required in my medical records. The VA has given me a "provisional" PTSD diagnosis in my records, but that has largely been ignored and instead rated as major depressive disorder.

I attempted to attach the scanned letter, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach the scanned image from a URL.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

You said"

I was denied for major depressive disorder, I believe I have a legitimate case for CRSC if I can locate the evidence required in my medical records. The VA has given me a "provisional" PTSD diagnosis in my records, but that has largely been ignored and instead rated as major depressive disorder."

Both PTSD and MDD pay the same rate of Comp.

Interesting- a "provisional PTSD diagnosis."   

Both PTSD and MDD require a stressful and/or depressive event that can be proven- to establish a service connection 'nexus' ( the link to your service.) 

Do you have a copy of your iinservice medical records and also your 201 file ( called the in service Personnel file) ?

I would think an inservice diagnosis of MS would cause any service person to become depressed or anxious over that diagnosis. I am a civilian but long ago I interviewed Dr Bash a few times on radio shows here and on one how he talked about the symptoms of MS, which I seemed to be having.

I told my doctor  shortly after that show, that Iwas concened about MS and took a

test she ordered which ruled out MS and she sent me to a podiatrist- A foot condition had caused the symtoms I had. I had become depressed over  the structural accomodations I  might eventually  need in my home, if I did have MS, and how serious it can be for so many people.

CRSC is just that -Combat Related Special Compensation.

I am surprised at this:

"After applying and being rated 30% CRSC for IBS, that's what I've received since."

That inservice disability too could certainly cause anxiety and depression.

I now understand where WWP is going on this- Good for them re: the IBS CRSC!!!!

You said:

"I attempted to attach the scanned letter, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach the scanned image from a URL."

If you can scan the decision, as to their rationale and the evidence list and date of the decision, cover your C file, name, and address prior to scanning it.

Save it as a named file, then go to this 'choose' files below;

and find the file ( I have Win 10 and they usually pop up right away) and click  on the Open button.

Every time I give this advice on attachments, I check one myself-fro my PC ..... I always think I forget how to do it!

David Petreaus.jpg

Edited by Berta
CTS

Hello again Berta,

I am happy to see I am now able to easily attach files just as you described. Not sure what the issue was yesterday as there was no option other than "attach from URL".

I don't believe I have a copy of my in-service medical records or the 201 file. If you're aware of a way I may access those records, please advise me and I'll get on it immediately.

I do have access to all VA records/notes/tests/visits ect., using the blue button service. 

Just to be clear, I am service connected and have a VA rating for everything on the CRSC award letter.

I was surprised to see the items claimed being denied, as I provided what I thought was the info/evidence required to substantiate the claims. Maybe I failed to provide the exact info/evidence they needed to approve. I simply followed the instructions of my WWP coordinator when applying for CRSC.

At the time, I didn't know anything about VA ratings, Title 38, or CRSC since I was so recently medically retired, so I was going at it in an uneducated approach. I wasn't in the correct mental state to deal with an appeal as I was dealing with significant health issues and was struggling with severe depression and anxiety, so I let it be.

I likely have the evidence/info needed in my records to be approved for a higher CRSC rating. I just need to dig in my records to provide exactly what they need. I just haven't ever attempted. 

I have read somewhere that the highest CRSC amount I may be awarded is directly associated with pay/length of service. My CRSC start date was Nov 1, 2015.

According to my most recent statement on mypay, the CRSC amount is $617.39. The current VA pay is $3956.84. The retired pay before deductions is $1030.

I believe I have only received the $1030 once due to me applying for CRSC. The amount on mypay I received for 1 month in 2015 was $901 gross/$872.60 net

Thanks again for your time and help. Please see the attached CRSC award letter.

CRSCLetter.pdf CRSCpg2.pdf