VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Assistance with TDIU form 21-8940

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

I need assistance please with filling out the TDIU form, VA Form 21-8940. 

Do I need to break down the dates that I was under each doctor's care? 

It's all at the same VA Medical Center.

Thank you

18 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Those 4142's, though- SUPER IMPORTANT. We cannot request records from private providers without them, and signed. Period. BLUF.

Sorry to keep asking you...but do I send the private healthcare providers my signed 4142 and they mail it back to me? Or do I ask them to mail it to VA?

3 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Have to? No, Ive had one but it was for an increase exam. My initial exam was a pin/poke test with various implements on the tops and bottoms of my feet and my legs in various places where the peripheral nerve paths are. You can look that up and see a picture if you google "radicular nerves back picture"

Wow. Good to know.

You don't need one to request the records yourself. The form is for us to request them for you. We need both parts of the form 4142 allows us to request on your behalf, 4142a is where you list the providers and basic contact info and treatment dates. We then send those to the provider to prove that you are giving us informed release to request your records. They don't always respond to us, though- they are not obligated to do so. So, many times it is easier if you do it with whatever forms, process, website, whatever- and then send them to us. I used to pull stuff off some of my providers pages that have websites showing notes and clinical visits that you can access. Print to PDF, merge it all together into 1 or 2 PDF's rather than 50, and kick it down the road. 

8 minutes ago, Rivet62 said:

Wow. Good to know.

If you know where the nerves are and where you are injured you can literally follow the lack of sensation or tingles all the way down. It helps to have a basic idea of the nerve paths and how they correlate to your back or neck for when you describe it to them. "I hurt here and it radiates to "here" or "here", or I lose partial or full feeling "there" or "There".  You can also look up straight leg raise test and Waddell's sign. They can tell if you are faking- Waddell's sign is how. Knowing the straight leg raise test is good, too, so you know what to expect, physically, during an exam. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

4 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

You don't need one to request the records yourself. The form is for us to request them for you. We need both parts of the form 4142 allows us to request on your behalf, 4142a is where you list the providers and basic contact info and treatment dates. We then send those to the provider to prove that you are giving us informed release to request your records. They don't always respond to us, though- they are not obligated to do so. So, many times it is easier if you do it with whatever forms, process, website, whatever- and then send them to us. I used to pull stuff off some of my providers pages that have websites showing notes and clinical visits that you can access. Print to PDF, merge it all together into 1 or 2 PDF's rather than 50, and kick it down the road. 

Thank you so much 💯

2 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

If you know where the nerves are and where you are injured you can literally follow the lack of sensation or tingles all the way down. It helps to have a basic idea of the nerve paths and how they correlate to your back or neck for when you describe it to them. "I hurt here and it radiates to "here" or "here", or I lose partial or full feeling "there" or "There".  You can also look up straight leg raise test and Waddell's sign. They can tell if you are faking- Waddell's sign is how. Knowing the straight leg raise test is good, too, so you know what to expect, physically, during an exam. 

Ok on the nerves...

I need to get clear on the straight leg test. I'll search that. But I actually couldn't raise my leg. Waddell's sign. I'll search that too.