VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent C&P exam for Left Leg radiculopathy

Rate this question

0351-assaultman

Question

Hi fellow vets!   Yesterday I had a C&P exam for a left leg radiculopathy (secondary to Lumbar Strain which I'm currently rated for at 60%). The doctor was really friendly.  We went to do the ROM test and after my first test of bending forward he looked at me and said, "Well obviously you are in too much pain to do any further ROM tests."    He didn't measure anything related to my radiculopathy.  Should I be worried?  Or is this a good thing?  I'm worried that if the rater doesn't see any ROM measurements it may be flagged.  But he made it sound like it was a good thing for me.  He was definitely on my side, which is a first for me.

Has anybody ever experienced this before?  I noticed on the DBQ there is a box with a line that says, "If unable to test, explain why."   He told me he would explain that I was in too much pain to complete the ROM test.   Seems like a good thing for me, but not sure. 

Thanks!

Kelly, USMC 0351 OIF Combat Vet

• Lead Moderator

The Examiner may have had what they already needed if they did read what was sent to them.    I would not take it as a bad thing, but now it is the waiting game.  

If he could already tell there was no need for ROM then there was no point.  Just wait and see what happens, but so far it sounds good.

Well during any rom testing, C&P are required to use the Goniometer. 

Was the C&P done at the VA? 

If so, the best thing to do is go to myhealthevet, download your dbq. Study it very well.

If it's a positive exam which gives you the rating that you deserve, I wouldn't mess with it. 

If it is a negative exam, put your boxing gloves on. 

It is an inadequate exam being that the Gonimeter has not been used.  

I had been to a few C&P exams where I had to sign stating that the examiner did use the Goniometer. 

3 hours ago, Whodat said:

Well I've seen them hanging on walls everywhere, but I'm convinced they're decoration only. I have had a bear of a time getting proper measured ROM tests.

3 hours ago, Whodat said:

If so, the best thing to do is go to myhealthevet, download your dbq. Study it very well.

I'm going to insist that all future C&P exams be done at the VA.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:44 AM, Whodat said:

Was the C&P done at the VA? 

If it's a positive exam which gives you the rating that you deserve, I wouldn't mess with it. 

If it is a negative exam, put your boxing gloves on. 

It is an inadequate exam being that the Gonimeter has not been used.  

I had been to a few C&P exams where I had to sign stating that the examiner did use the Goniometer. 

On 1/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, Rivet62 said:

Well I've seen them hanging on walls everywhere, but I'm convinced they're decoration only. I have had a bear of a time getting proper measured ROM tests.

This is why folks get turned down. I have had at least 5 ROM C&P's from the VA and not a single examiner used the goniometer. So if they're guessing whether it's 20 degrees or 30 or whatever, they are directly affecting your eventual rating. Always wait for the exam report though - if it's in your favor, great; and if not, grounds for a defective or inadequate exam appeal.