VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent C&P exam for Left Leg radiculopathy

Rate this question

0351-assaultman

Question

Hi fellow vets!   Yesterday I had a C&P exam for a left leg radiculopathy (secondary to Lumbar Strain which I'm currently rated for at 60%). The doctor was really friendly.  We went to do the ROM test and after my first test of bending forward he looked at me and said, "Well obviously you are in too much pain to do any further ROM tests."    He didn't measure anything related to my radiculopathy.  Should I be worried?  Or is this a good thing?  I'm worried that if the rater doesn't see any ROM measurements it may be flagged.  But he made it sound like it was a good thing for me.  He was definitely on my side, which is a first for me.

Has anybody ever experienced this before?  I noticed on the DBQ there is a box with a line that says, "If unable to test, explain why."   He told me he would explain that I was in too much pain to complete the ROM test.   Seems like a good thing for me, but not sure. 

Thanks!

Kelly, USMC 0351 OIF Combat Vet

5 hours ago, 8th&IMarine said:

This is why folks get turned down. I have had at least 5 ROM C&P's from the VA and not a single examiner used the goniometer. So if they're guessing whether it's 20 degrees or 30 or whatever, they are directly affecting your eventual rating. Always wait for the exam report though - if it's in your favor, great; and if not, grounds for a defective or inadequate exam appeal.

So... there I was trying to get measured ROM privately, cash out of pocket, because getting real measured ROM from healthcare providers is nearly impossible without a referral and ICD-10 diagnostic codes FOR EACH measurement.  I've tried physical therapists. Nope. It's all jacked up. Measured ROM must be the Achilles heel of all kinds of claims, because it's made damn near impossible to get them. I have found an answer, I think.  I think a chiropractor can do them. I think their measurements are acceptable, at least that's what others say in an old forum topic.  I'm about to try it after my upcoming C&P, then I'll have measurements to counter the C&P if I need to.  I'll update this thread when I find out.

Edited by Rivet62

5 hours ago, 8th&IMarine said:

grounds for a defective or inadequate exam appeal.

Some have said that it's wise to report the event afterward to 1-800-Peggy so there's a record of it coming from you.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, shrekthetank1 said:

The Examiner may have had what they already needed if they did read what was sent to them.    I would not take it as a bad thing, but now it is the waiting game.  

If he could already tell there was no need for ROM then there was no point.  Just wait and see what happens, but so far it sounds good.

Could the veteran request a second C&P to be sure?