VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined on original decision, separated on SOC, now a new claim needed?

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

I had an original rating of 10% for DDD of my entire spine. Now on my SOC they have combined the DDD lumber and DDD thoracic as 10%, and now I just received a letter from the RO that they are asking me to file a brand new claim for cervical. It seems they want to question SC for cervical. Well the lumbar is most definitely SC, and the thoracic they SC'd because the back is the back (I carried too much weight in the service).

Why are they asking me to file a new claim for cervical? Is it to deny me SC for cervical? 

BTW, before the SOC I was at 84% actual, and now by magic I'm 82% actual. 

Edited by Rivet62

Rivet62 Im glad you understand. Helps to know folks get it. 

15 hours ago, Rivet62 said:

But I have to prove the nexus, right? It's a brand new claim it appears.

Your nexus would be arthritis, DDD or DJD, adjacent joints, etc., etc., arthritis spreads.  I never had an IMO or an IME in any of my secondaries for arthritis.  I just said my elbow is hurting cause I use it more because of my service connected shoulder, etc. The VA did the exam and I got rated.

OK, I think it is about time we have a new "Tab" for "Secondaries"

Secondaries do NOT require a in service event.

In a nutshell,

2008, bilateral direct service connected for 10% each shoulder DDD, DJD, x-ray.

2010, cervical spine, SECONDARY, to shoulders ^^^^^^, rated 20% ROM.

2011, right shoulder increase to 20% ROM, right elbow, SECONDARY, to right shoulder^^^^^^^, rated 20% ROM.

2012, thoracic spine, SECONDARY, to cervical spine^^^^^^^, DDD, DJD, rated 20% ROM.

2021, thoracic spine increase to 40%, bilateral siatic(not correct, too lazy to look up right now), SECONDARY, to thoracic spine^^^^^^, rated 10% each side.

-so basically a couple 10's got me a 40 and three 20's.

Again,

2008, hypertension, direct service connection, rated a 0, yes ZERO.  Zero's are good!

2019, hypertension increase to 10%, Irregular heartbeats, SECONDARY, to hypertension^^^^^^, rated 30%, LVH, SECONDARY, to hypertension^^^^^^^, rated at 30%.

-so, again, a 0 (zero), got me two 30's and a 10.

And, I have more, but you get the idea,

Keep plugging,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice

17 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

2019, hypertension increase to 10%, Irregular heartbeats, SECONDARY, to hypertension^^^^^^, rated 30%, LVH, SECONDARY, to hypertension^^^^^^^, rated at 30%.

Yes. Thank you. I will keep plugging.  Did you have hypertension in service? 

1 hour ago, Rivet62 said:

Plus, it's friendly here. Not a minefield.

yup you got that right.

3 hours ago, Rivet62 said:

Yes. Thank you. I will keep plugging.  Did you have hypertension in service? 

Yes, when I returned from Iraq in '04 my blood pressure was too high and I had to get in down to stay in the service.  I went to a doc and they gave me HBP medicine(s).  I stayed in for another 4 years.

When I got out, I got rated for hypertension at 0% because it was controllable by medicine and I didn't have a "single day" three readings of over 140.

I asked for an increase in '19 stating that I did have three high readings, but over 2 months, not same day.  And that the 3 in one day readings was onerous, and not obtainable, not only at a civilian doc, much less, a military doc.  Got 10%.

Who does check you blood pressure three time in a row.  Not likely.  Most every one checks it, and then again if high.  If the doctor checks it to verify he dose not write it in the record.  Twice not three times.  The VA makes some thing almost impossible to get rated.  Anyway, enough ranting.

LOL,

Hamslice