VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hillcrest1999

Rate this question

hillcrest

Question

Am I entitle to sleep apnea disability, if I was just (2022) diagnose with depressive disorder due to chronic pain syndrome with major depressive and anxious features.

I have a 2015 sleep apnea DBQ from a doctor stating I have sleep apnea, 2016 sleep study laboratory diagnostic report from a hospital stating that I have a severe case of sleep apnea, but I was denied sleep apnea before I was awarded diagnose with depressive disorder due to chronic pain syndrome with major depressive and anxious.

5 answers to this question

When did they deny the sleep apnea and did you appeal ?

Can you scan and attach here the decision and the evidence list they used?

Cover our C file and name, address prior to scanning it.

I dont think many vets had  sleep studies done while they were in the service.

If you can attach the decision we can help more-  Cover your C file #, etc prior to scanning itt.

My sleep doc indicated that "OSA" and MDD (as well as PTSD), have some similar symptoms, and there is a causal link.  This is consistent with other sleep docs "who are not" with the VA.  

Of course, there are Veteran friendly doctors, also, who work at VA.  

You dont need a "sleep study" documented while in service to be SC for OSA.  As always, you need the 3 caluza elements "which includes" an event in service (or aggravation) which caused your OSA.  

However, if you are already SC for (PTSD/MDD, etc), then there are only 2 necessary Caluza's, since you already have an in service event which caused your PTSD/MDD.  Instead, you need 

a diagnosis of OSA (to get benefits you need to be on a cpap..50%)

and, a link between your currently sc (PTSD/MDD) and your OSA.  

Of course, you will need a sleep study, if one has not been performed already, in order to get a OSA diagnosis and for a prescription for a cpap. (required).  You can not just order a cpap online and use it, without a prescription and get 50 percent for OSA.  

To the contrary, some Vets advocates advise that you Additionally need a doctors statement that "your cpap is medically necessary".  

Its sort of like wearing crutches...maybe you want to strengthen your arms, so you wear crutches.  This does not mean you will get a "loss of use of legs" SMC, because you use crutches.  They have to be medically necessary crutches.