VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am now 100% P&T, what do I need to know to apply for Social Security Disability?

Rate this question

traveler

Question

I have recently been raised up to 100% P & T for VA disability.

How do I find out about applying for Social Security?

Is there any source where I can learn about it, from being in my situation?

I don't know ANYTHING about it.  Please help!

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

ANYWAY THIS IS THE WAY IT IS IN TEXAS  IT MAYBE A LITTLE DIFFERENT IN YOUR TOWN  DEPENDS ON HOW BOOKED UP THEY ARE.  THIS COVVID19 HAS EVERYTHING SCREWED UP.

Same here in my little city in Alabama. I went to the SSA office to pick up a printout of my lifetime work history. The doors were closed, and signs taped to the door, along with a free standing sign to call the 1-800 number.  I called the 1-800 number and she told me that SSA is no longer printing out the work history (you need the earnings history so that a prospective appeal attorney can be sure you qualify based on work credits). The lady on the phone said that I would have to request the work history from some third party outfit in Maryland and that I WOULD HAVE TO PAY A FEE FOR IT.  Or, I can access my records online, which I have had trouble with all along. I finally could see my records online, but this aspect leaves a lot of people unable to access their records in a timely fashion.  You used to be able to go in, and take a number, and wait for a clerk to print it out.

Anyway, the lady seemed to agree that SSA wants to move everything online and make it self-serve. Sign of the times. Covid being the go-to excuse for budget problems, imho.

1 hour ago, Hamslice said:

Just as with VA claims, the sooner the better.  Your clock starts when you submit your intent.  Remember, you don't get benefits for the first 6 months, and you don't get Medicare for up to 24 months from your start date. 

They also don't pay retro beyond two years anymore. I fell into that group of the 2 year limit. They used to go back beyond 2 years, and maybe they still do under a certain circumstance...I don't know.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a mental disability like ptsd, depression, panic disorder, bipolar it is easier to get SSDI.  Nobody can xray your brain to determine your level of disability.  If you have serious physical disability then you probably suffer from some sort of depression.  Depression would be a secondary condition to your physical problem.  I got SSDI in about 4 months after I applied because I had a DX of bipolar disorder.  I had a good shrink and SSA just threw in the towel after asking me if I would submit to an exam.  Of course, I would submit I replied.  The SSA just granted my SSDI.  The problems that really made working so hard were physical and job related.  I got worker's compensation as well.  I knew people that had VA 100%, worker's compensation and SSDI with certain offsets.

Thanks for the responses to my question on applying for SSDI.

Yes, I have the mental stuff. 

Thing is, I work 2 days a week, and from what I am reading, to get a mental disability, I have to NOT be working.

When I apply online, Do I have the opportunity to tell them about it? 

Can I attach my copies of C+P's etc that bolster my claim?

Can I tell them where the info can be found?

Thanks in advance.

I work damn near 40 hours a week.  I'm 100% ptsd/tbi P&T with SMC-S.  It's pretty rare, but doable.  It helps that I have sheltered employment.  I've told every C&P examiner this info.  This won't fly with SSDI, but maybe it will when I'm done working in a couple of years.  I can't take the stress much longer.