VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Evidence gathering stage of TDIU claim

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

I want to be very sure that I understand the span of employment history that VA is seeking for my TDIU claim.

Some say, just provide the last 5 years from the date of the TDIU request/claim and backward from that date. Others say that VA wants the last 5 years of working history, the history of work prior to the recent 3 years of unemployment (3 years of unemployment, and the 5 years of working history prior to the 3 years of unemployment.

What's right? The date that VA acknowledged receipt of my TDIU form is January 26, 2022.

I went on eBenefits and it shows this:

EBENEFITS-TDIU-SCREEN.jpg

Edited by Rivet62

20 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

Block #18 of VA FORM 21-8940 STATES:

18. LIST ALL YOUR EMPLOYMENT INCLUDING SELF-EMPLOYMENT FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS YOU WORKED.

VA Form 21-8940

Thanks. Brain fog and pain causes problems.  It causes uncertainty in how I perceive things, like... am I reading things right, sort of thing.  I'm not sure if the pain comes first and then the fog, or the fog then the pain. But thanks for your help.  Truly.

If its any consolation, Rivet62, for me it can be both, add in a little paranoia and distrust, it can make things interesting that is for certain. I think you are covering all your bases from what you posted.

4 hours ago, ArNG11 said:

If its any consolation, Rivet62, for me it can be both, add in a little paranoia and distrust, it can make things interesting that is for certain. I think you are covering all your bases from what you posted.

Be forewarned, try your best to give them what they ask for and no more. IMHO, I have seen veterans give too much information that the VARO used against them. Example: The veteran is in therapy and discuss his/her hard childhood. When a veteran enlists, he/she has been found fit for duty and the veteran's childhood should not be in his/her rating unless it was aggravated by his/her service otherwise the VARO could deny the claim as pre-existing. 

4 hours ago, ArNG11 said:

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you applied for SSDI?  If you get SSDI then TDIU is not that hard and you can prove that you are disabled and unemployed and unemployable.  I got SSDI a year before I got TDIU.  I think getting TDIU is getting harder than it was for me back in the day.  Too many vets are getting it and the VA DON'T' LIKE THAT.