VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will the VA assist in finding a home?

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hey everyone, this has been on my mind recently due to wanting to buy a forever home soon. Problem is, the process is an absolute nightmare for me, to the point where I stop trying and/or give up. There’s soooo much stress associated with this, I wasn’t aware it was this bad. I figured I’d the VA didn’t have anything, maybe just hire a realtor to go around and look at prospects. 

One rumor I heard is that I’ll be exempt from paying property taxes as a 100% P&T vet, which is cool. Not sure how to get that ball rolling, but when the time comes, I’ll look into it more. 

I’m looking at several properties out of state as well. My only idea outside of any VA help is literally hiring people in the local areas I’m looking and have them check everything out. The thought of having to fly around the country to look at houses terrifies me. Once established in my new location, I plan to explore employment options, as mentioned in a previous thread. But this housing issue may prove a lengthy process, so, one thing at a time, right!? 

All in all, I’m just excited to be moving forward with things in my life. I’ve not been well for the last decade or so, and I’m finally starting to accept the nature of my limitations, and figuring out how to live with them. Obviously haven’t conquered the anxiety, but my ambition is coming back a bit….much welcomed, I’ll say! 

take care, all!! 
God bless 

Edited by MarineLCpl

On 2/12/2022 at 4:54 AM, john999 said:

I would not mind living in Mobile on the Gulf Coast.  How are housing prices there?  I live in Tampa, Florida and my house would sell for $500,000 and I have the cheapest house on the block.  Unless you live in the Everglades no house for 75K.  All along the Gulf Coast you have these monster storms.  I like the panhandle of Florida but hurricanes have smashed it over and over. I bet you could get a nice place in Mississippi or Alabama but I wonder about medical care and standard of living.

Mobile gets hit again and again.  When weather comes it usually hits there and goes northeast. It took me awhile to just look at the shape of the coast line along the gulf, and how water (and wind).. storm surge has penetrated areas over time. You can see it. Elevation and topography have a lot to do with how much...

I think housing in Mobile is more expensive than other areas of Alabama. You can check realtor.com and compare.  But if you are leaving a more expensive home and buying elsewhere then you'll have an advantage.  I judged the differences on purchase price vs quality of neighborhood.  In some cities in the US you could spend $500k and be in a slum area. 

Standard of living is subjective, so I can't say.  But, I do know that areas in close proximity to a military base often have a large vets population and there are resources for vets that come with that. Like finding realtors and mortgage brokers that are familiar with VA home loans...big plus. There's also more veteran's discounts generally. And for me, I really wanted to partake of the MWR benefits on a sufficiently sized military base, like boating and stables for your horse, golf, fishing... the kind of amenities you can only get in an exclusive gated community...more like country club amenities. Savings at the commissary (tax free)... that sort of thing.

I think the population of a city kind of dictates the scope of medical services you can receive, the more specialized doctors and well equpped hospitals are in the bigger cities like the medical university in Montgomery, AL often works together with the Montgomery VAMC. In my area, I have a VA CBOC and more specialized care is had at a city about 25 miles away.  I can get specialty care at my local public hospital for a lot of things but not all.

So for me, I wanted certain things and I wanted a quiet existence, not so much the nightlife or things to do and buy, or how many festivals a city has.  Although that's not far from me.  I didn't want a lot of traffic congestion with impatient drivers and road rage. For me, I guess the difference is restaurants.

Edited by Rivet62
save server storage