VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need some help, please

Rate this question

angelasmalley449

Question

My husband was diagnosed with a TBI years ago, but was never rated by the VA. Now he has been diagnosed with frontotemporal neurocognitive disorder, and there is no family history. How do I get the TBI rated and where do I even start? I have been gathering research and doctor's notes and everything. This life is hard, and his multiple TBIs--at least 5--are service connected. I'd appreciate any insight and assistance. He is already rated 100% for PTSD and additional injuries are rated at 30%, I believe. 

42 minutes ago, angelasmalley449 said:

He is already rated 100% for PTSD and additional injuries are rated at 30%, I believe. 

Has he filed for SSDI (SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE) due to his disabilities, he can get both for the same conditions?

I agree with Shrek, we need more information. 

It sound like they are asking about aid@attendance.

It sound like he need to apply if he need help of other.

Dress feeding bathing medicine reminder cooking  Etc

That is the only other VA disability is smc.

He is all ready 100%

Find a vso who understand smc benfits and apply.

Good luck

Any disorder, in the schedule or rating disabilities, (to include TBI), can be service connected, and this would require 3 caluza elements.  

1.  Current diagnosis of tbi.  

2.  Documentation of an "in service event" or aggravation which you allege caused the tbi.  Generally this likely means a blow to the head.  Or, perhaps, close proximity to a bomb going off.  "In service events" can often be documented by buddy letters, by someone who witnessed the event, or witnessed that you were "off" for a week, while seeking treatment.  Best is an eye witness.  

3.  A doctors opinion linking 1 and 2.  It needs to say something close to "the Veterans tbi is at least as likely as not due to an explosion near him while in the military service".  

Get these documented-get service connected.  Lack any one of the 3, and no service connection.  

My advice, therefore, is to review the medical records and cfile, see if these caluza elements are documented.  Items number 1 and 3 can sometimes be corrected by a doctors report.  But the doctor can not provide an eye witness to an inservice event.  However, the doctor "can" opine that he reviewed your xrays, and there is an old skull fracture, consistent with the Veterans reported head trauma in service.  Based on the Veteran not being in any major car accidents, its at least as likely as not that old head fracture, now healed, (somewhat), from miliary service, caused the symptoms of tbi the Veteran experiences.  It may take another doctors exam, that you pay for, to get benefits, since VA docs remember who pays their salary and tend to represent VA's interests, not yours.  

Edited by broncovet

• Founder
9 hours ago, angelasmalley449 said:

My husband was diagnosed with a TBI years ago, but was never rated by the VA. Now he has been diagnosed with frontotemporal neurocognitive disorder, and there is no family history. How do I get the TBI rated and where do I even start? I have been gathering research and doctor's notes and everything. This life is hard, and his multiple TBIs--at least 5--are service connected. I'd appreciate any insight and assistance. He is already rated 100% for PTSD and additional injuries are rated at 30%, I believe. 

special-monthly-compensation.png

If you are looking for help taking care of him something like a home health aide that comes in during the week and helps with what he needs help with. For this I would contact your local VA hospital and ask to speak to the Social Worker, explain your situation, ask for help and how to proceed.

If you are looking for additional compensation in the form of Special Monthly Compensation check out this video from CCK Law I think it will give you a good idea what it is and how to go about applying for it.

For example there is a Special Monthly Compensation Rate for TBI try reading this article from The Veterans Law Blog on SMC T It is a subscription site but it allows you to view 3 articles for free a month.

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

I hope this helps.

Angela, you stated:

"My husband was diagnosed with a TBI years ago, but was never rated by the VA." Never rated.....???

So maybe he has never formally claimed the TBIs?

"Now he has been diagnosed with frontotemporal neurocognitive disorder, and there is no family history. How do I get the TBI rated and where do I even start? I have been gathering research and doctor's notes and every"

Frontotemporal neurocognitive disorder can be caused by TBIs and other neuro conditions. It can lead to dementia.

My husband had dementia from a VA -caused stroke. It took them many weeks, as he was hospitalized , to get a CT scan-his doctor said he had

laby rhinthitus, and their CT scan was "broken"and a nurse told me to get him out of there before they killed him.

But I had just told his idiot doctor I was calling my congressman ,to report the broken Cat Scan and suddenly the local VA "fixed it". 

The nurse didnt know I had just spoke to a different VAMC , and asked the doctor there to read part of the CAT scan to me apparently the Bath VA doctor didnt know how to read a CT scan at all.( My Army husband had a brain tumor so I knew how to interpret it-I told the doc,a Neuro this was not a surgical matter and he said No- who told you that- I said his "doctor here just told him he was being prepped to go to your VAMC for brain surgery.

and they were sending him there. The VA Neuro doctor was appalled at that.

This word above bothers me-"NOW" ---was he diagnosed by the VA?

If so did the VA ( or even if the diagnosis came from a private doctor) give any opinion on why he had this severe condition?

If he never claimed the TBI he has to claim it=- it couuld put him into a SMC  criteria-

"He is already rated 100% for PTSD and additional injuries are rated at 30%, I believe. "

Can you scan and attach here his last VA rating and decision? With his permission? Cover his C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.

I suggest this because I have had decades of experience with the VA.

I bought a box of Manila folders and sorted out everything I got  from VA to put in them and identified  each file-on the manila tabs,  all rating sheets all decisions, VA medical records ( ther was a stack so I filed them by year, in many folders, and all of my FTCA/ Sectuiiion 1151 stuff regarding his wrongful death.Also SMRs and Personnel records DD 214s, ( he served twice) and DD 215, in a folder and SSDI studd in another folder.

There are many more folders than that for me - and you probably wont have a lot like I do-but it can make things easier when we are prganized and know what to look for and what folder it is in- 

When I met him he only had one folder.2 DD214s, and his  1983 award from the VA for PTSD.( called nervous condition in 1983)

You husband might well have other potential SC disabilities.If so now is the time to claim them but we need more info.

•