VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How long a wait for veteran service records these days?

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

I'm just curious if anyone has managed to get their in-service records within a reasonable time frame?

What I consider reasonable is the time frame I experienced in 2014. I got the basic records in maybe 2.5 weeks, and the extensive records in about 6 weeks. 

I'm helping a gulf war veteran begin the claim process by first acquiring his in-service records (personnel file and medical and health records), and now we're going on 4 months still waiting for the basic record.

Covid, covid, and more covid.

The Archives website has no timeframe stated, but they do provide a number to call to check on the status of the request.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

What do you mean "basic record"? They are, or they aren't. There isn't a 'categorization', you request, they send what they have. If you don't request all categories of OMPF or request all STRs then I suppose you might get back only some of them. They send whatever you request but they won't go digging for something if you don't request it. 

Ive gotten a few back (into VBMS) from NPRC (NPRC has STR and OMPF) within 30 - 60 days. Most are still taking longer, though depending on time frame, and it gets longer if they are pre-mid 2000s or so, like a few months, easy. OMPF only can be requested directly from Milconnect if they are in DPRIS, i.e. got out after the following dates:

Are my documents available via DPRIS?

A: Check the date your Service completed scanning OMPF information into its unique OMPF repository system.

Service Branch Discharge and Retirement Cutoff Date
Air Force 1 October 2004
Marine Corps 1 January 1999
Navy 1 January 1995
Army 1 October 2002
Coast Guard Not available via DPRIS at this time. You may be able to find your records in a paper-based archive.

You have to register, though, and you may need to disable your ad-blocker in your browser- the page doesn't always load if that is turned on. How you do that depends on your browser. 

https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/

I have no idea how long 510 Privacy requests of Cfiles are taking, I don't request those. 

1 hour ago, Rivet62 said:

I'm just curious if anyone has managed to get their in-service records within a reasonable time frame?

What I consider reasonable is the time frame I experienced in 2014. I got the basic records in maybe 2.5 weeks, and the extensive records in about 6 weeks. 

I'm helping a gulf war veteran begin the claim process by first acquiring his in-service records (personnel file and medical and health records), and now we're going on 4 months still waiting for the basic record.

Covid, covid, and more covid.

The Archives website has no timeframe stated, but they do provide a number to call to check on the status of the request.

I suggest that you have your friend file his/her claim(s). The VA will request these records and may get them faster. The NPRC may not be able to find his/her records and the longer he/she waits the more benefits they lose out on. Keep in mind that if his/her claim(s) is/are denied due to no military records. Once they actually receive their records, they can always reopen their claim(s) based on 38 CFR 3.156 New and material evidence or pertinent evidence. Also keep in mind, they must have the Caluza Elements which are: 1. An in-service event, accident or incident. 2. A current diagnosis and 3. A nexus connecting 1. and 2. Under 38 CFR 3.156, it possible that the veteran could get the effective date of his/her original filing date. 

18 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

What do you mean "basic record"? They are, or they aren't. There isn't a 'categorization', you reques

In 2014, when I made the request for the personnel record, they were sending out the basic information that most everyone would want. They did this to speed up requests. If you wanted a complete record then you would make a request for the complete record after receiving the one-size-fits-all response. They may not be doing that now, but that's the way they responded to requests in 2014. I have all the correspondence relating to the requests back then. If you're interested then I can post it here.

21 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

If you don't request all categories of OMPF or request all STRs then I suppose you might get back only some of them. They send whatever you request but they won't go digging for something if you don't request it. 

Yeah, that's the way the request form was back in 2014 too.  You can check all the boxes, but their policy at the time, to handle backlog, was to send the basic file first.

24 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Ive gotten a few back (into VBMS) from NPRC (NPRC has STR and OMPF) within 30 - 60 days.

This is good to know.  But the record migration into VBMS...does this depend on it already being in DPRIS? The gulf war (army) veteran discharged before 2002.

26 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

I have no idea how long 510 Privacy requests of Cfiles are taking, I don't request those. 

Ok.

1 minute ago, pacmanx1 said:

I suggest that you have your friend file his/her claim(s).

I was thinking the same thing. At least get him to submit an intent to file a claim.

3 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

The VA will request these records and may get them faster.

So then it becomes part of the C-file?  And if so, then it can be seen in VBMS?

4 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

The NPRC may not be able to find his/her records and the longer he/she waits the more benefits they lose out on. Keep in mind that if his/her claim(s) is/are denied due to no military records. Once they actually receive their records, they can always reopen their claim(s) based on 38 CFR 3.156 New and material evidence or pertinent evidence.

I was thinking if he filed claims for all existing conditions, generally stated (back issues, mental health issues, etc), then he can wait on the veteran service records himself, and as you say the VA will request and get his records faster.

9 minutes ago, Rivet62 said:

In 2014, when I made the request for the personnel record, they were sending out the basic information that most everyone would want. They did this to speed up requests. If you wanted a complete record then you would make a request for the complete record after receiving the one-size-fits-all response. They may not be doing that now, but that's the way they responded to requests in 2014. I have all the correspondence relating to the requests back then. If you're interested then I can post it here.

Yeah, that's the way the request form was back in 2014 too.  You can check all the boxes, but their policy at the time, to handle backlog, was to send the basic file first.

This is good to know.  But the record migration into VBMS...does this depend on it already being in DPRIS? The gulf war (army) veteran discharged before 2002.

Ok.

Regarding DPRIS, yes- we use the same tool, it just looks different. DPRIS requests usually only take a day or less on the short end, and a day or 3 on the long end. Its the STRS that take forever.