VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Allergic Rhinits & Rosecea?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How hard is it to service connect  these  when no records from service/ mine

I have been diagnose for both of these  and being treated by the VA for the allergic Rhintis  but not the Rosecea (red welps on the face around nose and mouth.

I had thisDx for 20 years or longer.  but I have another veteran that has it in his service records  so were going to get him service connected for it  going back to 1969  Vietnam  combat vet.

so is this hard to service connect? i know they will fight us on it.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

As always, you dont have to have a diagnosis IN SERVICE to be SC.  You DO need an "in service event" (or aggravation)  which caused your Rhinitis, and Rosecea.  If you had symptoms of these maladies, do you have any documentation in service?  A buddy letter, for example, that he saw you with a runny nose, "may" suffice.  

Im not really "up" on Burn pits, but it sounds like those could be related to burn pits, if that happened near you. Maybe Berta knows.  The Burn pits could well establish an In service event. 

Edited by broncovet

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

While helping my father file for AO related issues, I reviewed his service medical records from his time in Vietnam. The initial triage/intake report is usually taken down by someone other than an actual doctor and are considered lay statements which can help form the basis of the "in service event". They may have reported stuffy nose, skin rash, or something similar to them. Those self-reported symptoms can help. Of course, back then most of the docs had handwriting almost as bad as mine and often struggled to document more than two or three sentence fragments.

Regarding aggravation, it is definitely worth taking a closer look at the entrance exam, exit exams, and don't forget the self reported medical history forms which go along with it. The interesting thing about aggravation is one can note on the self reported form that they had sinus and skin issues prior to service, but it is up to the doctor to confirm this as an actual diagnosis. The doctor does not need to confirm a diagnosis for it to lock it down as a pre-existing condition. They are just doing the exam to see if the condition is currently active and preclude qualification to serve, not to rule out the fact that it may have ever existed. And if one succeeds at winning via aggravation, the VA often likes to reduce the initial rating. However, if they do this, they must do it in terms of the rating schedule.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks broncovet  & Vync  Roger That