VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FND or conversion disorder

Rate this question

carlos_v

Question

Hi, I been dealing with PTSD for several years now and my condition has been worsening. I have a 70% disability rating for PTSD. I used to drink a lot and was isolated from society for years. I have attempted to end my life many times and finally reached a point where my family did an intervention and had me do AA and metal health meetings. I stopped drinking and been sober for 2 months now. However other health issues came up. I been having seizures, cannot see out of my right eye,  lost movement of my right hand and feet and I’m confined to bed. I only get around with a wheel chair. The doctor told me this is due to PTSD and I have Functional Neurological Disorder which also was called conversion disorder before, and I’m waiting for physical therapy to start hopefully in a few days. I don’t know if I should seek for an increase of my PTSD or file a secondary claim for FND conversion disorder since it’s also a mental health condition. Can any one give me some advise please.

3 answers to this question

File for an increase and any new or secondary issues.  If you have additional new, additional or relevant evidence, then submit it.  Sounds like you should be rated at 100% easily.  You're worse off than me and I'm 100% P&T with SMC-S.  I got there with an abundance of evidence that I got outside the VA.  In other words I paid for outside DR's medical opinions.  You may not need to go this route.  IDK.  The VA most likely will not help you with medical opinions when it comes to claims. 

If you don't have a VSO, I would get one.  Have them do an intent to file.  Or something like this.  They can help you get your claim together.  Hopefully you get a decent one.  My VSO was ok.  I learned the system on my own.  My VSO filed claims for me, got copies of C&P's, and answered some questions.  I got to 100% P&T within a year and a half doing the rest of the work (gathering evidence).  He was asking me for advice when it all settled.  

If you do an intent to file, I think you have a year to gather and submit your evidence.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  If you get claims approved or increased, it goes back to the date you filed.