VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where do these people come from?

Berta

700x145

"Two Arkansas Men Indicted on Fraud Charges
3/3/2022    9:00 AM EDT
Hunter Matthew Burroughs and Stephen Keith Andrews were indicted by a federal grand jury in Fort Smith, Arkansas, for their roles in three separate conspiracies to defraud the US government and private workers’ compensation insurers. Their alleged crimes include a billing and kickback fraud scheme with multiple physicians and medical clinics and separate fraud schemes involving the shipment of medications from Arkansas to two Louisiana physicians, who then distributed those medications from their clinics in violation of Louisiana laws. Additionally, Burroughs was charged with wire fraud for allegedly falsifying emails he provided in a civil lawsuit involving his sale of the company. 

Massachusetts Woman Sentenced for Stealing Veterans Affairs Funds
3/3/2022    9:00 AM EDT
Robin Calef, of Brockton, Massachusetts, was sentenced to one month in prison followed by three years of supervised release after previously pleading guilty to one count of theft of public funds in November 2021. She was also ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $102,289 to the VA. In December 2006, Calef’s sister, who was receiving VA monthly benefits, passed away. She failed to inform the VA of her sister’s death, and the VA continued to deposit monthly benefits into a joint bank account held by Calef and her sister until September 2017. Bank records revealed that Calef made monthly withdrawals of approximately the exact amount of VA benefit funds deposited into the joint account."

Source VAOIG email 3/3/22

Its been my experience that fraud "inside the VA" is more prevalent than "Veterans against VA".  

The VAOIG wants to chase after Veterans who commit fraud, (and they should), but conveniently "forget" to prosecute billions and billions stolen from fraud from employees.  

This article is not too much of a shock to me, fraud is rampant, and the government is not that great at catching up to it, tho they are doing better.  

I will have to agree with you bronco. I have seen fraud personally within the VA system. A former co worker ran across I would say a RO. This person will somehow get you a hundred percent P&T as long as he gets half of your backpay. That's how my co worker got his hundred percent. I am glad that I didn't drink the Kool aid. 

That 'person ',iff they are still employed at a VA, should be reported to the VA OIG:

https://www.va.gov/oig/hotline/complainant-release-preference.asp

(that is fraud on many levels-because the veteran (s) they got 100% for might not even be near a real 100% rating.)

I do agree. However I did not get the name. He has an odd way of contacting. He uses other vets. Ones that he knows personally.