VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I exit this endless loop?

Rate this topic

gangof4

• Lead Moderator

I am sorry as I did not mean to come off as rude, but it really bugs me when I hear a person who is there to help is doing everything they can to stop you.

I am dealing with my hearing loss in one ear and the ringing never stops, so I feel your pain.  I was told by so many people at these places that are suppossed to help and unless you are missing a body part then they feel you do not deserve the benefits.  

I hope you find a good VSO and always question something if it does not sound right.  

• HadIt.com Elder
On 3/3/2022 at 11:18 AM, gangof4 said:
I have a service-connected hearing loss at 0%.  I've had a C&P as well as private hearing tests mfor the sake of some compensation.  My sensorineural (tone) testing reveals moderate to profound loss of hearing at different decibels in both ears, but I do well on the speech recognition test, so I get denied.  So, on the basis of the speech recognition test, my claim was denied.  Problem is, I can't hear very well.  My wife gets frustrated several times each day, repeating herself (two or three times), I need closed caption on television, I can't hear my phone ring, or the microwave or dishwasher beep.  I can't hear traffic approaching behind me.  I have to sit in the front row at meetings and conferences.  I've been permanently excused from jury duty based on my hearing reports.  The list goes on.

If I lived in a soundproof booth with headsets on (like when you take the speech recognition test), I could probably get by.  But that's not real life.

Any ideas on how to approach/resolve this hurtle?

You apparently did not get your hearing claim in early enough.  I got my 20% rating in 1985 for a 1984 claim.  After that, the VA reduced the rating % to 0% because of hearing aid improvement. A BVA decision made the previously awarded ratings hold.

I have the same problem hearing now.  Maybe worse, because my word recognition "in the booth" is not very good.  Also, tinnitus interferes especially when I try to concentrate on listening.  And the hearing aids I have now are the best I have ever had.

I have a response from an attorney asking what they can do for me.  I will bring it up Monday.  I was refused a Navy forklift operator's permit because of the tinnitus in 1965.  I contend that tinnitus as severe as mine, cuts you out of a lot of industrial opportunities because of safety concerns.  You cannot even operate a dishwasher being unable to here the beeps.

I have a dog who tells me when my phone rings or a siren is sounding.  He took to it naturally as a puppy and I encouraged him because it helps a lot.

I related my problem hearing to tinnitus.  BVA Judge Marjorie A Auer remanded tinnitus for an extra-schedular rating but the remand was ignored.  Will bring it up in my April 1 BVA hearing.  Hope I get the same Judge.  She may be irritated enough to make the grant herself.