VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Delayed on-set PTSD

Rate this question

AF SP

Question

Concerned about C&P and service connection. In 1987 as an Air Force SP I was deployed to a plane crash. 3 people were killed when it crashed and they were literally scattered over about 5 acres. Needless to say it was very gruesome. Within a couple of months of this I began having severe gastric issues that are still ongoing. I had no idea that PTSD could have been the cause of these issues, when I got out I was granted SC for it at 40% permanent in 1999. I've always had an occasional memory that would pop up but for the most part I was able to handle it.  This all changed in 2020 when I was driving through the area and saw a street sign with exit for the town where they plane crashed. When I saw that sign I literally lost and just started bawling for over an hour, all of the memories came flooding back and since then (almost 2 years ago) I can't get these images out of my head and once they start the other things I witnessed creep in (a murder investigation, Black Hawk crash, numerous suicide attempts (not me but others)) without going into all of the symptoms at the urging of my wife I finally went to the VA and was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression. I have my C&P at the end of the month and I'm of course concerened they will say it's not service connected.  As for evidence I submitted news articles about the crash and a couple of Letters of Appreciation from my commander up to the SAC commander. Also service records will show I was assigned to the Security Police Squadron a the time of the crash.  I would think this would be enough to prove service connection.  What do you think?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi AF SP Welcome to Hadit. You went to the VA for treatment so they will have the records. You are already diagnosed for MH. Go and be as honest and total as you can. I don't feel you have anything to worry about. Just be sure to go; it should be several hours of eval. You'll be fine.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you haven't heard anything after 2-3 weeks after the C&P exam, call "Peggy" at 8008271000 and ask about the status. Look at your bank statement and see if a back payment is made. See VA.gov and see your "benefit" letters. They can often have a posting before you get your decision letter. If you are dissatisfied with your rating, get back to us and we can advise further.

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, AF SP said:

I finally went to the VA and was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression

The main thing is to try your best to stay in therapy. It helps both of what you are going through and your claim by documenting your current level of disability (PTSD).  

Had the C&P yesterday morning and I have absolutely no idea how it went.  When it came time to discuss the event she did not want any details just the basics of when and where.  She did the normal how was your childhood, how was your time in service etc... And then at the end she hit me with the old look at the pictures of peoples expressions people with PTSD may not be able to tell their expressions apart. We all know that one is BS.

If your exam was yesterday, you can expect another 2-3 months before you get a decision. Claims are averaging 162 days from beginning to end.  However, if you have a VSO with VBMS access they can track the process a little closer.  Don't forget to appeal within a year of the letter if you disagree with the decision.

Your  service records and any copies you may have should show you had some type of exposure to those traumatic events such as MOS specialty designation, after action reports or anything with your name or unit  connection to the incident.  Old Stars & Stripes news articles about the incident/s can also be helpful with any photos you or others took that show you in the field with your unit in that vicinity or duty station.

Also important is any service medical records showing you were treated for a problems that may be related to your experiences such as anxiety, depression, conversion reaction, sleep problems, even headaches etc. 

Treatment records both VA, private and service that includes doctors and/or nurse notes can be helpful.  A treating doctor nexus statement, opinion or note stating your PTSD is more likely than not due to your service traumatic experiences would be important and most helpful but these opinions are not always easy to obtain for some vets.

Even though you may meet the criterial and qualifications for a VA service connection disability you may not be able to receive an important formal doctors nexus opinion or DBQ stating your disability is due to your service or another service connected condition because some doctors and their staffs are lazy, indifferent or hostile to vets receiving VA money.

Here is what has worked for me since 1987 to present day.  I have submitted copies of VA, Army, private medical records and other evidence with my numerous claims and appeals with almost 100 percent success and won those claims/appeals without a doctors nexus statement with only one recent exception where the paid for opinion was also successful.  I have been 100% P&T since 98 and now also with SMC-S.  

IF you contact me I can send you a detailed list of the medical and other evidence that has won my claims and appeals.  What has worked for me is no guarantee it will work for you.

It is a disservice IMHO for anyone to discourage a vet from filing a disability claim just because they cannot get some chicken*** doctor to fill out a DBQ or sign a nexus statement as the vet may still have the other medical and non medical evidence in their files or possession to win. 

I encourage vets to seek opinions of others and do their own research as I have done.

Some vets like to brag about their receiving a VA or private doctors nexus opinion free of charge or it was paid for by their insurance or others and I congratulate them on their good fortune.  I have learned and worked the hard way for my benefits and proud of it.

I learned many years ago to in my case to correctly assume the VARO will deny my claim with a BS statement like "NO EVIDENCE" and then I have to appeal to the BVA or higher U.S. CAVC court which I have done on my own successfully.  This has created jealously on part of some other vets.  Too Bad they can still get happy.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO representative.