VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got a? On gaf score for mental health

Rate this question

Mr cue

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Greeter

Yeah the Va stopped using gaf to score people’s rating. Not exactly sure why but it is no longer a standard of care used. Cue how’s your claim going?

For a long time there has been conflicting opinions on the value of GAF scores in MH DSM I thru V manual among the experts in private and government/VA psychiatric profession.

Since 1998 I have been continuous rated at 70% Nam PTSD and before that 30 and 50%.  Been P&T since 2000.

From 1985 thru 91 and into 2000 the GAF score was considered by VA shrinks, examiners and VARO raters to be of extreme importance in determining the level of disability MH ratings. My GAF always fluctuated a great deal with each shrink visit and C&P exam.

In 1998 my GAF was not considered severe but my other VA/private medical treatment notes, diagnosis for long period of time was considered serious and therefore the 70% P&T TDIU rating in 2000.  Then it was very difficult to overcome a low GAF score and now days it is just one of many factors the shrinks, examiners and raters look at. Very little importance now as it has always been only a brief snapshot in time of the patient,s  MH functioning.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

EditedperfectcombinedcroppedphotoofPerkins498thBurningUH-1HJune91970-Copy-Copy(3).JPG.26e4db46c75fcf0a7f02ff49631bda36.JPG

Edited by Dustoff1970