Requesting an increase

ntowns6702

Question

Currently rated 40% for lumbar sprain. recently had mri showing degenerative arthritis, bulging disc and bony protrusion that at times presses on nerve. Had steroid injection but no relief. Physical therapy not helpful next step may be burning nerve ends. Should I file for an increase now?  Thanks. 

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, ntowns6702 said:

Currently rated 40% for lumbar sprain. recently had mri showing degenerative arthritis, bulging disc and bony protrusion that at times presses on nerve. Had steroid injection but no relief. Physical therapy not helpful next step may be burning nerve ends. Should I file for an increase now?  Thanks. 

If you have increased symptoms, you should file for an increase. You may want to consider filing for depression secondary to your service-connected lumbar sprain and any other secondary service-connected disabilities if you have pain going down your legs.  

• Like 3

Agree with pacmanx1- we often have symptoms of MH, depression and/ or anxiety as a by-product of recurring s-c disability with pain. But it is human nature to be affected mentally by constant pain .Some simple examples,  anxiety: afraid you won't be able to interact with family coming for a visit because you could drop the baby or can't play with the young ones, and they won't love you..  Or depression: don't want to go to church because your back won't allow you to sit there for and hour, and/or stay to greet friends at the coffee hour. MH disabilities often are over looked as secondaries to our rated conditions, but exist never the less.

• Like 1

I like the idea of filing for an increase, but I "would leave the door open" for an increase AND a new claim of degenerative arthritis, because that arthritis could spread.  In other words, I would apply for both an increase and a new claim for degenerative arthritis.  

If you dispute VA's findings, appeal it.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Start seeing VA psychiatrist and learn about depression.  If you are depressed because of physical disability then file for depression as secondary to the physical stuff.  Many vets never do this for various reasons. Don't be embarrassed about it . When you see the VA shrink don't minimize your pain and depression.   Don't be a tough guy.  Tough guys go broke.

• Like 1