VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've Got Decision Letter Problem

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Recently I noticed a deposit of several thousand smackeroos in my bank account from VA comp and pen.

Logged into VA.gov to search for what was granted, as I have multiple appeals pending.

VA.gov only indicated a claim closed on Feb 24, 2022 for a compensation issue.

It said a letter had been mailed to me regarding the decision.

I've waited ten business days for the decision packet to arrive in the mail but nothing so far.

I called the VA 800 number.

I was told there was no decision letter by three different VA employees.

I informed each employee that a decision letter is required to be sent.

One VA employee informed me that the money was deposited in my bank account because it was money the VA wrongfully took out for attorney's fees.

Strange.

I've never raised this issue.

Did the VA CUE themselves?

Not sure how to proceed... but I did submit a complaint to the VAOIG regarding the matter.

Something smells fishy about this.

I truly want to preserve the time to file my appeal just in case I want to challenge the VA decision.

38 U.S.C. 5104 states that the VA Secretary shall mail claimants and their representatives notice of a decision in a timely manner. The corresponding regulation is 38 C.F.R. 3.103(b)(1), which states that claimants and their representatives are to be notified of any decision impacting the “payment of benefits or granting of relief.”

When you got the deposit , have you gone over the retro amount by compariing it to the ratings they awarded and their EEDs?

I know the feeling- Long ago I got a check from the VA  for  over 20,000 bucks-

I had no idea what it was for- I called 800# and in those days I knew some of the 800# people by name- I said to the 800 man, Jim Ferguson, what is this money for?

And he said a letter would come soon.  I was afraid to even deposit the check.

About a week  passed -no letter so i called 800# and Jim answered the phone  again and I said 'Jim, I put this check into the bank and I spent most of  it at Kmart this weekend so I hope that letter comes soon.( he LOLLed because he knew from past 800 conversations ,I was a funny 800 caller) . I had not deposited the check.

Finally I got the letter-

It was either my REPS benefit check, or something else- I have had so many dealings with the VA, I dont recall what it was.

REPS- this is a benefit for survivors of Vietnam vets who lost SSA regarding their child's age  due to the Omnibus Reconciliation Act ( Under President Reagan)

My so called vet reps had never heard of REPS.

The application was with the original DIC forms. 

Getting a check or deposit from VA, that we do not understand ,is often as stressful as getting a denial.

It is explained here under a search

Edited by Berta
CTS