VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interesting situation, no one can access my VBMS.

Rate this question

vetquest

Question

I have a unique situation, no one can access my VBMS records.  I have a representative and he is locked out and gets a security message when trying to access my records.  I have filed two IRIS complaints and they have been closed without doing anything for me.  I have also contacted my congress critter and they were told twice that the problem was fixed to no avail.  It was speculated that since I had a lawyer at one time that this was the reason that it was locked.  I do not need to access my record at this time but this situation perplexes me.  Has anyone had a like problem or heard of something like this?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

On 3/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, asdf said:

Have you ever worked for the VA?  VA employees and contractors usually have their files hidden.

I worked for the VA at a VAMC and my attorney could access my VBMS. I have since revoked his representation and made the DAV the representative (who submitted the 21-22 on my behalf). When I went on VA.gov I could see that the attorney was still showing as representative, for like nearly two weeks after submitting the 21-22. I called the VA 1-800 number and they could not see the submission of the 21-22.  So this time I had made the change myself on VA.gov, being sure I had the correct street address for the national DAV office in my state to submit the rep change. The representative change occurred within 24 hours.

I'll update whether or not the DAV can see my VBMS, because just this morning I requested copies of my C&P exams through their VBMS access.

Edited by Rivet62

12 minutes ago, Rivet62 said:

Have you ever worked for the VA?  VA employees and contractors usually have their files hidden.

These records are not hidden, they are marked, labeled or flagged as sensitive and VA employees need a special authorization to view these claims and or records.  

Edited by pacmanx1

3 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

These records are not hidden, they are marked, labeled or flag as sensitive and VA employees need a special authorization to view these claims and or records.  

Well then, I wonder if that adds time to my TDIU decision? No doubt it will. I know that my Official Personnel File (OPF) at the VAMC where I worked went directly to the OPM upon my resignation and they have it stored there at the OPM. What I thought would be easy, since I worked at a VAMC, is more complicated since the VBA has to request my OPF from the OPM, and we all know how delayed things are now. I uploaded all my VA personnel records I had on hand in support of my TDIU claim, but I think they are getting the file from OPM nevertheless.

Per a change in regs late last year if a veteran can provide OMPF/Proof of Svc that is credible and looks unaltered then VA can accept it in lieu of official OMPF. We still have to request it but the lack of the offcial package shouldn't hold up exams/etc- at least on our end. 

7 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

We still have to request it but the lack of the offcial package shouldn't hold up exams/etc- at least on our end. 

I've had the two C&P exams they requested.

The final decision on the claim has to wait for the official package, right?

No, that as part of the change in the regulations because things were getting held up when the veteran had already provided credible proof of Service for service connection. This is for proof of service only- if they had to request medical or some obscure personnel thing that isn't already of record because of one your claimed contentions that is directly relatable, i.e. an LOD,  some police report of that bar fight one night that shore patrol broke up but resulted in some perm injury, whatever, THAT still has to be obtained. The change in regs was for establishing proof of service.