VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survivors benefits?

Rate this question

mwillis71

Question

My father in law, "Marine Corps Gunny" passed away suddenly Friday and we are really hurting as a family. He was 70% disabled but also retired. I'm not sure how or if that factors in with disability pay/retirement pay. My question is What does his wife and daughters need to do as far as VA disability and retirement is concerned? You all are such a blessing!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, JKWilliamsSr said:

I believe so because there is a monthly premium for it.

I know a vet who retired, but did not opt into the program. Do you know if it is possible to opt in at a later date or is it a one shot deal when retiring?

It is a one shot deal but rarely Congress will have an open season but to enroll you will need to pay the premiums back to your retirement date in a lump sum. So if I retired two years ago with a 200 dollar premium I would need to pay 2400 plus my monthly going forward.  It has been years (2005, I think) since there was an open season.

Just a few comments

Retired military personnal are requied to accept or deny survivor benefits at the time of retirement, and the spouse must also sign the decision to insure they are not left out in the cold.

VA survivor benefits are different, anyone rated 100% or TDIU upon death are usually awareded surrvivior benefits after the survior request the benefit., Those who are rated  less than 100% or have no TDIU, may still qualify as long as the death was caused wholly or in part from a service connected condition. 

Also, if the veteran was collecting social security or not  ifs possibe the survivors may receive benefits if there are minor children  or other factors exist. They would have to check with the Social security personne.

Most survivors should know alredy if the veteran fits into either catagory, however if not the family of a retiree can go to the retirement benefits office on a base, or check with military organizations for assistance, such as DAV, VFW etc.