VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Strongest Pain Med with Least Dizziness?

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Welcome to hadit. 

My doctor's repeatedly "try drug B" if "drug A" is not effective or does not work.  

Did she take the pain pill on an empty stomach?  

Many times you need to take the pill after a meal, and/or with a full glass of water.  

Of course, the best course of action is to mention this to her doctor..I dont want to practice medicine, and I doubt you do either.  

While I do understand its often a good idea to research the meds, there is no substitute for your doctors experience and training.  If "the internet" could solve all medical problems, then all doctors would have to lose their job, and I dont see that happening any time soon.  

Thank you so much for your reply, she took the pain pill with food.

Regarding your responses, "there is no substitute for your doctors experience," and "if 'the internet' could solve....,"

I have only turned to the internet (I greatly hesitated before posting in this forum) because I am at my wits end from countless and continuing frustrating interactions with doctors here. I've concluded they really know nothing about medications beyond what the package insert says, and there is always an underlying implication that oxycodone is the holy grail, and be received as such. Unfortunately, it didn't help, and made her dizzy.

But I do thank you for your very kind and generous reply.

Well I don't know much about pain medicine.

Because I never really like the stuff the VA hospital doctors use to give that stuff out like water. Back in the early 2000.

I had box on box of pain meds the VA would send.

I smoke weed since 2000 it help relax me and help relax my muscles spasm in my neck.

I am going to say around 8 10 years ago my VA doctor come to me  one day I can't give you an more muscle relaxer because you smoke weed.

I told them to keep the medicine.

I watch as they cut all these veterans off of these strong pain medicine over the years.

Cold turkey many turn to heroin because that is what the pain pill was and still is.

So I state this an hope you will try weed pill edible or they even have drinks.

It really help me and I am glad I never got caught up with the pain pill thing.

Good luck

You are welcome.  As a humble suggestion, you "could" try the oxy again, because, its possible, or even likely, that "something other than this pill" caused her dizziness.  As an example, dizziness can be caused by changes in blood pressure.  

That happened to me.  I had a "very bad episode" with penicillin.  So, I reported it and its listed that Im alergic.  

Many years later, I went to an alergist.  The allergist "highly recommended" that I be tested to see if I was actually allergic to penicillin.  So, I did.  It turned out I am not allergic, and he thought that was important to find out now, not when Im in the hospital with pneumonia or something.  

It turned out one of 2 things:  I had the bad episode because of something else, or I outgrew the allergy.  

My advice is to try it again..it may work this time, and her dizziness could have been caused by something else.  

Actually, its probably a good idea to "run down" what caused her dizziness..that could be important. 

I applaud you MrCue. That's what I think that what you stated has happened to my Dad. He got hooked on the pain meds. VA stop giving it to him. His next options was to get pills off of the street. Very dangerous. So I helped him to apply for card. He is much better and happy

Thank you all for replying in such a short amount of time.

So, to recap:

• On all the occasions my mother tried oxycodone, it made her so uncomfortably dizzy that she finally discarded the bottle and said she never wants to be prescribed that again.

• My mother has tried all the various marijuana products, those also make her uncomfortably dizzy.

Thank you again. I'll stand by, in hopes someone here who has tried all the different pain medications might know which one has the least amount of the "dizziness" side effect.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cut the dose in half and see if she can tolerate it .  Pain doctors frequently overdose elderly patients.  My aunt was 85 and she broke her hip.  She was in the nursing home and they gave her so much dope she though she was on a bus traveling through Georgia.  My wife is little and when she had a ulcer they doped her up with morphine and she was out of her mind for a few days.  The docs always seem to overdose little people and women.  Now for me when my foot was operated on I had to beg for pain meds.  I was begging for morphine and they were so worried I might become addicted by taking it for two days.  20 years ago every doctor was prescribing tons of Vicodin or Oxy and now you have to beg for it.