VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability rating benefits

Rate this question

BadWolfe

Question

Except for the dollar amount awarded, are there any differences in benefits between 10% and higher ratings?  From my limited research, it seems that the only difference between a 10% Disability rating and those higher ratings is the monthly benefits income dollar amount.

No, there are significant differences between the ratings, "other than" just the monthly dollar amount.  

Example:  You get eligible for dependent benefits, but not at 10 percent rating.  The higher the percent, the greater dependent benefits.  Chapter 35, which provides for education for dependents, is a HUGE deal for Vets with kids that are not yet college age.  

Another benefit is that you get priority treatement with higher disability ratings.  

And, your disability ratings can be helpful in getting a job.  

EACH state also has Veterans benefits, and many of these are exclusively for 100 percent P and T Vets.  

There used to be a chart showing how your benefits increase with increased disability percentage, but I cant find that one now.  

Vets with higher disability ratings pay less on copayments, prescriptions, etc.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Chapter 35 provides good health insurance to your spouse and kids if you have them.  My wife has medicare and with ChampVA she pays no copayments or deductibles. State benefits for 100%/TDIU in Florida include exemption on  property taxes.  Where I live now this is a big deal.  Of course, the VA should do much more for disabled vets.  Our compensation rates are a joke in this day and age.  They should increase them for all by 50% yesterday.

7 minutes ago, john999 said:

Chapter 35 provides good health insurance to your spouse and kids if you have them.  My wife has medicare and with ChampVA she pays no copayments or deductibles. State benefits for 100%/TDIU in Florida include exemption on  property taxes.  Where I live now this is a big deal.  Of course, the VA should do much more for disabled vets.  Our compensation rates are a joke in this day and age.  They should increase them for all by 50% yesterday.

Thank you for that info.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA has Priority groups. 

10 to 20 percent

30 to 40 percent

50 percent and above

https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

The biggest benefit is when a Veteran becomes permanent and Total, That kicks in the 10K life insurance and a Waiver of Premium, Chapter 35 education benefits for the spouse and Kids, Military ID card (Veteran and family ) with MWR and Commissary access, Access to Space A travel provided the veteran is not too sick to fly. 

9 minutes ago, jbasser said:

VA has Priority groups. 

10 to 20 percent

30 to 40 percent

50 percent and above

https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/priority-groups/

The biggest benefit is when a Veteran becomes permanent and Total, That kicks in the 10K life insurance and a Waiver of Premium, Chapter 35 education benefits for the spouse and Kids, Military ID card (Veteran and family ) with MWR and Commissary access, Access to Space A travel provided the veteran is not too sick to fly. 

Thank you for this.

• HadIt.com Elder

That gives a vet the strong incentive to go for 100% P&T.  I don't think that is entirely fair, but that is the system.  I guess when you get 100%/TDIU the VA must assume you are not working and really in need which is true.  I think vets who are less than 100% should get more compensation as well as those 100%.  Most vets who are 100% get less than $4000 a month even with "S" and a spouse.  If you only have that much money you are making less than average median income in the USA.  I think average family income is about  $65,000 nationwide.  65K  would be decent money for the deep south or Florida.  Everyone in my old neighborhood makes twice that much these days.  I am the poorest guy on the block and the only vet.  If you ever watch "South Park" I am Kenny.