VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loss of Use

Rate this question

carlos_v

Question

Hi, my husband’s health has poorly deteriorated and has been diagnosed with Functional Neurological Disorder. The doctors say he developed this because of his PTSD. He had severe PTSD and was an alcoholic. He attempted to kill himself many times before. He finally stopped drinking after therapy after many years but since December has developed this disorder. The PTSD was service connected back in 2011 at 70%. He is now experiencing loss of use of both lower extremities, Lou of right arm, he cannot see out of right eye and cannot hold bowel or urine. How should I go forward with his claim? Can someone give me some advise please. Thank you so much for any input because I’m kind of loss.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a lot more wrong with her husband than PTSD or a brain disorder.  Maybe liver failure or heart failure.  Is he a RVN vet?  Some of that stuff might be presumptive for AO.

I do agree, continuity doesn't mean just in service, but how many Vets especially in the Vietnam era were educated on VA process? Not many. 

I do agree waiting to claim such things as arthritis. Hard to prove after 10 years. 

Yes we are offered an exit exam. Are the docs are very thorough with the exam. Probably not. Once a Vet exit the military, the only thing that is on the vets mind is, how am I going to support my family. They go out and look for a job. Not thinking about military or VA. Years later, they get educated on VA and file. 10 years later they may get SC if that hadn't pass. Just so much red tape. 

But on the other hand, the Chairborne rangers are not training or deployed, they have nothing better to do but research. 100 off the back.

Then try to give advice such as an imo. Really?

I am not pinpointing anyone. Just my feelings about raters and the VA system. 

I do agree, continuity doesn't mean just in service, but how many Vets especially in the Vietnam era were educated on VA process? Not many. 

I do agree waiting to claim such things as arthritis. Hard to prove after 10 years. 

Yes we are offered an exit exam. Are the docs are very thorough with the exam. Probably not. Once a Vet exit the military, the only thing that is on the vets mind is, how am I going to support my family. They go out and look for a job. Not thinking about military or VA. Years later, they get educated on VA and file. 10 years later they may get SC if that hadn't pass. Just so much red tape. 

But on the other hand, the Chairborne rangers are not training or deployed, they have nothing better to do but research. 100 off the back.

I am rated for a Functional Neurological Disorder secondary to my PTSD, I have psychogenic seizures which are a FND.  They  are rated like regular seizures and I am also rated for loss of use for my legs secondary to a balance disorder that is service connected.  I waited over a decade to file my first claim and some have been added as recently as last year so over 25 years after service.  Time didn't actually hurt me and I didn't receive treatment for many of my disabilities for a long time, I did get low balled in the beginning but that was mostly because they didn't have a lot of records to go by, the records they did have supported a higher rating but well we all know how heavily that cp examiner weighs in 😜

16 hours ago, Dustoff 11 said:

Even though you may meet the criterial and qualifications for a VA service connection disability you may not be able to receive an important formal doctors nexus opinion or DBQ stating your disability is due to your service or another service connected condition because some doctors and their staffs are lazy, indifferent or hostile to vets receiving VA money.

Here is what has worked for me since 1987 to present day.  I have submitted copies of VA, Army, private medical records and other evidence with my numerous claims and appeals with almost 100 percent success and won those claims/appeals without a doctors nexus statement with only one recent exception where the paid for opinion was also successful.  I have been 100% P&T since 98 and now also with SMC-S.  

IF you contact me I can send you a detailed list of the medical and other evidence that has won my claims and appeals.  What has worked for me is no guarantee it will work for you.

It is a disservice IMHO for anyone to discourage a vet from filing a disability claim just because they cannot get some chicken*** doctor to fill out a DBQ or sign a nexus statement as the vet may still have the other medical and non medical evidence in their files or possession to win. 

I encourage vets to seek opinions of others and do their own research as I have done.

Some vets like to brag about their receiving a VA or private doctors nexus opinion free of charge or it was paid for by their insurance or others and I congratulate them on their good fortune.  I have learned and worked the hard way for my benefits and proud of it.

I learned many years ago to in my case to correctly assume the VARO will deny my claim with a BS statement like "NO EVIDENCE" and then I have to appeal to the BVA or higher U.S. CAVC court which I have done on my own successfully.  This has created jealously on part of some other vets.  Too Bad they can still get happy.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO representative.

Yes please and thank you so much my email is

Do not post your email address.

1 minute ago, carlos_v said:

Yes please and thank you so much my email is

Do not post your email address.

9 hours ago, yoopergirl said:

I am rated for a Functional Neurological Disorder secondary to my PTSD, I have psychogenic seizures which are a FND.  They  are rated like regular seizures and I am also rated for loss of use for my legs secondary to a balance disorder that is service connected.  I waited over a decade to file my first claim and some have been added as recently as last year so over 25 years after service.  Time didn't actually hurt me and I didn't receive treatment for many of my disabilities for a long time, I did get low balled in the beginning but that was mostly because they didn't have a lot of records to go by, the records they did have supported a higher rating but well we all know how heavily that cp examiner weighs in 😜

Ok thank you, you think I should file for my husband’s PTSD increase first? Is the FND a separate condition? Or part of mental disorders?

16 hours ago, Dustoff 11 said:

Even though you may meet the criterial and qualifications for a VA service connection disability you may not be able to receive an important formal doctors nexus opinion or DBQ stating your disability is due to your service or another service connected condition because some doctors and their staffs are lazy, indifferent or hostile to vets receiving VA money.

Here is what has worked for me since 1987 to present day.  I have submitted copies of VA, Army, private medical records and other evidence with my numerous claims and appeals with almost 100 percent success and won those claims/appeals without a doctors nexus statement with only one recent exception where the paid for opinion was also successful.  I have been 100% P&T since 98 and now also with SMC-S.  

IF you contact me I can send you a detailed list of the medical and other evidence that has won my claims and appeals.  What has worked for me is no guarantee it will work for you.

It is a disservice IMHO for anyone to discourage a vet from filing a disability claim just because they cannot get some chicken*** doctor to fill out a DBQ or sign a nexus statement as the vet may still have the other medical and non medical evidence in their files or possession to win. 

I encourage vets to seek opinions of others and do their own research as I have done.

Some vets like to brag about their receiving a VA or private doctors nexus opinion free of charge or it was paid for by their insurance or others and I congratulate them on their good fortune.  I have learned and worked the hard way for my benefits and proud of it.

I learned many years ago to in my case to correctly assume the VARO will deny my claim with a BS statement like "NO EVIDENCE" and then I have to appeal to the BVA or higher U.S. CAVC court which I have done on my own successfully.  This has created jealously on part of some other vets.  Too Bad they can still get happy.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO representative.

How do I contact you? I wrote my email but it didn’t go through