VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

cervical/lumbar strain question

Rate this question

Whodat

Question

Greetings all,

Has anyone file a claim for cervical or lumbar strain and has been awarded both?

The reason for this question is because a few years ago, I had a VFW rep had gone through my medical records and discovered I had neck and back problems while in service and filed cervical or lumbar straln. 

Thank you Jk. 

Yes, both injuries are in my medical records. I do have an injury or event happened while in service, I do have a diagnosis for both. Just wondering why my rep didn't file for each. The rep filed for cervical or lumbar strain. I am afraid that VA may SC one condition and the other condition I may have to file later. 

How long have you been out?  Have you been getting treatment for these injuries?  These are tough claims to win without ongoing treatment, even with an in-service event and a diagnosis.  I know, because I have in service incident, diagnosis for both spine issues, and got denied.  But I filed 20 years after getting out.  I didn't keep treatment records even though I've been treated for spine issues since getting out.  This was their reason for denial.

I had retired in 2008. I did filed for back conditions back then but got denied. I did not appeal. 

I have been getting treatments since 2015, filed again in 2017, denied. This time i did appeal. 

2 hours ago, Whodat said:

I had retired in 2008. I did filed for back conditions back then but got denied. I did not appeal. 

I have been getting treatments since 2015, filed again in 2017, denied. This time i did appeal. 

Ya, the VA will use that gap to deny you.  Even though ongoing treatment isn't required for your claim to get approved.  In my case, I sought continuous treatment from the time I got out to the present.  The gap in treatment resulted from Dr's retiring or records destroyed after a certain period of time (like 7 years).  Didn't plan on filing a claim.  I had buddy, spouse statements, Dr's nexus, etc.  Denied.  Now get this, I got TBI approved from the accident in which my neck and back were injured.  The rappelling accident knocked me out. TBI approved combined with PTSD for 100%.  Never sought treatment for either until I filed a claim (24 years after I got out).  Unless you count weed and beer as treatment.  That's what I told them.