cervical/lumbar strain question

Whodat

Question

Greetings all,

Has anyone file a claim for cervical or lumbar strain and has been awarded both?

The reason for this question is because a few years ago, I had a VFW rep had gone through my medical records and discovered I had neck and back problems while in service and filed cervical or lumbar straln. 

The Spine is divided into 2 segments. Cervical and Thoracolumbar. The Thoracic and Lumbar are combined. 

Thank you Jk. 

Yes, both injuries are in my medical records. I do have an injury or event happened while in service, I do have a diagnosis for both. Just wondering why my rep didn't file for each. The rep filed for cervical or lumbar strain. I am afraid that VA may SC one condition and the other condition I may have to file later. 

• Like 1

How long have you been out?  Have you been getting treatment for these injuries?  These are tough claims to win without ongoing treatment, even with an in-service event and a diagnosis.  I know, because I have in service incident, diagnosis for both spine issues, and got denied.  But I filed 20 years after getting out.  I didn't keep treatment records even though I've been treated for spine issues since getting out.  This was their reason for denial.

• Like 1

I had retired in 2008. I did filed for back conditions back then but got denied. I did not appeal. 

I have been getting treatments since 2015, filed again in 2017, denied. This time i did appeal. 

2 hours ago, Whodat said:

I had retired in 2008. I did filed for back conditions back then but got denied. I did not appeal. 

I have been getting treatments since 2015, filed again in 2017, denied. This time i did appeal. 

Ya, the VA will use that gap to deny you.  Even though ongoing treatment isn't required for your claim to get approved.  In my case, I sought continuous treatment from the time I got out to the present.  The gap in treatment resulted from Dr's retiring or records destroyed after a certain period of time (like 7 years).  Didn't plan on filing a claim.  I had buddy, spouse statements, Dr's nexus, etc.  Denied.  Now get this, I got TBI approved from the accident in which my neck and back were injured.  The rappelling accident knocked me out. TBI approved combined with PTSD for 100%.  Never sought treatment for either until I filed a claim (24 years after I got out).  Unless you count weed and beer as treatment.  That's what I told them.

• Like 1