VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New VA Regulations with Sleep Apnea Being Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Arty123

Question

I'm rated since 2008 at 50% for PTSD.  Also, 10% for tinnitus.   I was just diagnosed at the VA with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP.  

I was wanting to file for sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.  I have the diagnoses but need to find a doctor to write a nexus letter.  The pulmonologist and my PCP said that they could not write the nexus so thinking of using something like valor for vets and would like opinions using a service like that. 

My second question is I know the VA is changing the percentages from 50% if you're prescribed a CPAP to 0%.  I don't know exactly when the changes go into effect but when they do and if I do file will they go by file date or decision letter date? For example if I file April 1st, the VA officially makes the changes May 1st, and my decision is June 1st will they go by the filing date or decision date?

Thank You,

Chad

• HadIt.com Elder

There are some special factors and it requires a surgery, but if the cpap is not your thing it might be worth it.  I did a lot of research on it and found doctors here in Tampa that did it.  Our VA will do it but they try to get you on inexpensive cpap first.  I had had no side effects from the surgery.  I was one of the first commercial patients.  Not every VA does them as far as I know.  You have a hand held device that turns the system on and off.  It never wakes me up when it comes on even though it gives a electric stimulation to you throat and palate.  It opens up your throat and moves your tongue out of the way.

I've been trying to get one but my VA doctor is resistant.  I use my CPAP most nights and I hate using it. I feel like I sleep better without it. I know the benefits of using it so I force myself to do so.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of these sleep doctors feel the cpap is the gold standard and maybe it is for some.  But if you cannot tolerate the cpap then what?  The inspire system works pretty good for me.  Not perfect but much better.

Just wanted to update the thread to let ya'll know I was awarded sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.  I feel very fortunate because a lot of veterans are denied outright or have to go through the long process of appeals etc.  

For others pondering if they want to try file the same claim this was my process: have been rated PTSD since 2008.  Did a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  None of the doctors at the VA said they could write a nexus letter for me so with the help of this board I contacted Dr David Anaise and sent him my medical information.  He then wrote a very detailed nexus letter with studies linking my sleep apnea with PTSD.  Once I had everything together I filed a claim through the american legion and 4 months later I was approved.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Arty, congrats. Not an easy claim to get, but then, Dr. Anaise is one of the best. That said, I don'y know what your total combined rating is, but you should be looking at climbing the ladder for 100% and/or SMC's.JUst be careful on what you submit for. Keep at it brother.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Arty, congrats. Not an easy claim to get, but then, Dr. Anaise is one of the best. That said, I don'y know what your total combined rating is, but you should be looking at climbing the ladder for 100% and/or SMC's.JUst be careful on what you submit for. Keep at it brother.

Thank you.  I'm at 80% now with 50% PTSD 50% sleep apnea and 10% tinnitus

I don't think I have any other problems that I can file a claim for.  I am VA diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and chronic rhinitis from '08 after returning back from Iraq but had 2 sinus surgeries that did alleviate all the problems I was having from it.  I know those are on the new presumptive list.  Also have high BP and cholesterol but those are under control with medication.