VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Dependent and Survivor Benefits

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

VA Dependent and Survivor Benefits Summary of VA Dependents and Survivors’ Benefits and A Survivor and Burial Kit you can use as your pre-need planning information.

What to Do, and When…

Preparing for the passing of a loved one, or even oneself can be a difficult and confusing time. The following informs you of what you may need to do, and when, to ensure your survivors have the information and documents needed to obtain the benefits to which they may be entitled.

For the Veteran, when discussing your final wishes with your loved ones:

Discuss your military service and any VA disability rating information with your family and if possible, locate copies of your military separation document(s), such as your DD214.
Use VA-Form 21-686C to document you and your spouse’s marital histories. This information may be needed if your spouse applies for VA benefits after your passing.
Discuss your final wishes regarding your remains. If you wish to be buried in a national cemetery after your passing, consider applying now for pre-need burial eligibility.
Be sure to complete and annually review your life insurance beneficiary designation(s), which will make it much easier to file a claim and receive benefits quickly.
For the Veteran’s family, as the Veteran is approaching end of life:

Speak to the Veteran’s doctor about how to obtain copies of medical records before and after the Veteran’s passing, in case they may be needed in the future.
Discuss with the Veteran where and when they have received treatment for any medical conditions which you believe may have been incurred in, or exacerbated by, their military service.
If you believe the Veteran may be entering into their period of final illness, begin keeping a record of any medical expenses related to that final illness.
If the Veteran wishes to be interred in a national cemetery, locate their pre-need burial approval (if they applied), or clarify their wishes as to where they would like to be interred.
For the Veteran’s parents, spouse, or dependent children, after the Veteran’s passing:

Consider if you wish to apply for VA Survivors Pension or DIC.
If the Veteran had a VA Life Insurance policy, or other policy, prepare and submit a claim with required supporting documentation.
If you have a medical condition, disease, or injury which necessitates the aid and attendance of another person in performing your activities of daily life, or are housebound, have your physician complete a statement outlining your medical condition.
If you believe the Veteran’s death was related to a condition incurred during military service, or exacerbated by military service, obtain copies of any private medical records from the Veteran’s physician (VA hospital records and military medical records can be obtained by VA).

Go this post for Helpful PDFs with more information https://www.hadit.com/va-dependent-and-survivor-benefits/

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Thanks for the good information. 

What I did was make a" Survivor Benefits Book" , In this book I placed copies of all the important documents, ie marrage certificate, DD214 etc. 

I wrote a page of were to find things; Ie; Private insurance papers in safe, file #3, or VA insurance information in Safe file #6

I completed all survivor benefits forms, with the exception of the dates, and cause of death

I provided a listing of what the VA will pay each month, what SS will pay, my anunities etc.

I provided a listing of all insurance policys what they are worth and were they are located

I wrote down my wishes for my burial, what I want on the headstone ( VA lets you design you headstone to a point), where I want to be buried, and even those who should be invited

I also left evenlopes for my daughter and son, saying special things, telling them how proud I am to have been their father and stuff like that...( working on the same for my grandchildren) 

We never know when we are going so we have to prepare and educate our spouse, before we go.. I for sure did not want to leave my wife wondering what next, and how to get things done.