VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

heart stress test

Rate this question

worriedshrimp

Question

greetings,

i will soon be referred to a heart stress test via my local va health care facility. i assume this test will be given by a private local cardiologist. my question is for anyone who has undergone this test and basically what to expect. further i am 11b10 vietnam so hope the va will have informed the testing people that i may be presumed to have an agent orange link. finally is this test the METs test and/or will it satisfy the values of a METs test? thanks for any clarity.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Worriedscrimp Welcome brother to Hadit. You may be referred to a VA doctor, or it might be farmed out to one of the big subcontractor, VES, LHI or . You will be given a letter and probably a call to coordinate the C&P exam. Set the agreed date and DON'T miss it. Put in for mileage, you're entitled to. You don't have to worry about A.O.; if you put it on the claim and your dd214 shows it, there shouldn't be hick ups. Yes, they probably will put you on a tread mill, or, if there is some circumstances where they can opt to give a chemical test instead of the tread mill. (Did it to me.) METS is the usual criteria used now for most of the ratings, but not completely. See CFR4.104 ,diagnostic code 7005. For example a rating of 30% is awarded if your heart is dilated (enlarged). Keep us informed of progress.

3 hours ago, worriedshrimp said:

I will soon be referred to a heart stress test via my local VA health care facility. i assume this test will be given by a private local cardiologist. my question is for anyone who has undergone this test and basically what to expect. further i am 11b10 Vietnam so hope the VA will have informed the testing people that i may be presumed to have an agent orange link. finally, is this test the METs test and/or will it satisfy the values of a METs test? thanks for any clarity.

Hey guys, I am not sure but based on the OP (ORIGINAL POST) this may not be a C & P exam and the referral may be or come from the Community Care Program and not LHI, VES or one of those contracted exams. 

Worriedshrimp, is this for a C & P exam or is it a scheduled heart stress test? 

I have had two or three types of treadmill stress test including nuclear and/or chemical that may be same thing.

In 2014?? Saint Mary's heart surgeon diagnosed me with IHD Ischemic Heart disease after many other test including Echo, ECG, CatScan, MRI, EKG, exrays, Bruce Treadmill which gives out a more accurate METS reading than a VA C&P examiner ESTIMATED Mets thru asking vets question about ability to exercise.

The VARO gave me a rating of 30% automatically for enlarged heart and exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.  As usual the Chicken **** examiner and VARO rater ignored my Treadmill Mets that showed I should have 60% instead of 30%.  The biased stupid examiner never allowed me to even answer his questions he ask me to determine estimated METS and instead wrote down his own answers on the DBQ.

As with my other OSA Sleep Apnea appeal that was granted by the BVA, the board found this same VA examiner negative opinion to be defective and remanded my claim for better C&P exam from another person and for me to provide additional positive medical evidence if any.

The treadmill tests all have been tough for me but no pain no gain.

Estimated METS are to used only if the vet cannot tolerate a treadmill test of any type.

I feel confident I will also win this appeal from BVA.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

Unlike BVA professional lawyers and judges the VARO raters are just the opposite IMHO.

I had the treadmil test by a civilian cardiologist, because of chest pains I had twice.  I used the results to get service connected for LVH secondary to my already sc'd hypertension.

My mom had the chemical test because of her age, and other health conditions.

I was on the treadmill for just under 12 minutes, and the cardiologist said I could be a fireman.  I was a cop at the time, LOL.  Appearently there is a threshold for being a firefighter.

The reason I tell you this is that, even though I was fit enough to be a firefighter, I was still deficiant enough to get a 30% rating through the VA's schedule.  They also did the nuclear thing at the same time, so I am not sure what test says what.  My MET's where not enough for the schedule, but I think that my left ventricle muscle thickness is what got me the rating.

So as always, go to the exam, and wait for the results.  Never know what the see or will say.

Carl

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here is a link which details the procedure: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/stress-test/about/pac-20385234

I have had both types. They might recommend you get a coke afterwards because the meds can cause a mild headache.