VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denial of S-DVI Insurance

Rate this topic

Rattler

• Community Owner

I applied S-DVI Insurance on 11-27-21 due to my new PTSD ratting on 11-18-21. As I didn't hear anything from them at the end of March I called there 800 number.  (not 800 Betty) They said that it was denied but could not tell me the date it was or why. So the person said they would have someone call. So around the 4-7-22 I get the attached letter of denial with no date. What it appears to me is they are denning id due to " requires that you meet good health requirements except for
conditions that are rated by VA as service connected." Has anyone heard of this? 

Rdacted of Denial of S-DVI Insurance Ltr 3-4-22.pdf

It's part of the eligibility requirements.  It asks about lung conditions, mental or nervous disorders, blood disorder, heart condition, cancer or tumor, and diabetes specifically on the application. Are you not service connected for diabetes mellitus, melanoma or the cevical spine condition since they denied you for these conditions?

It is life insurance. I sold life insurance years ago and I had clients be denied due to some health issues. S-DVI looks like service connected disabilities are covered but some non-service connected disabilities may not be. 

You can appeal this though. 

Eligibility
S-DVI provides up to $10,000 of life insurance for eligible veterans. To be eligible for S-DVI, you must meet all three of the following requirements:

1. You were released from active service in the Armed Forces on or after April 25, 1951, under other than dishonorable conditions.

2. You apply by December 31, 2022, or within 2 years of receiving your disability rating (whichever comes first). Please Note: The disability you are rated for must be a new disability, not an increase in a disability you already have. An increase to 100% or being granted individual unemployability does not automatically entitle you to a new eligibility period.

3. You are in good health except for your service-connected disability. We will evaluate all health conditions that are not service-connected. Information about any health conditions should be included on your application.

The S-DVI program is going away on December 31, 2022 and being replaced with Veterans Affairs Life insurance (VALI). The premium waiver is going away as well so everyone needs to get those S-DVI applications in by December 31, 2022!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Rattler767 The VA's life insurance department doesn't do things like the rest of the VA and there's no way to track routine requests on va.gov like we can for everything else.

I submitted a CUE due to an improper denial years ago and they had no idea what I was talking about. I ended up escalating up to a department chief who ended up getting me in touch with a VA lawyer who also didn't know what CUE was. Go figure...

@deedub75 I appreciate the update about it changing. I will have to look into the replacement program.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just applied and received approval for it, but I haven't received the policy It sounds like everyone who has S-DVI will be notified of the opportunity to join the new program called VALI.  sometime this fall.  Details are not available yet but I must admit the rate I got was about half the cost of a commercial contract. And that would be IF I were able to get a policy from them. Here's their site https://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/vali_rates.asp

what I see is that if you are not 100% rated, you still can buy a policy for $40K, which you can't do with S-DVI.

Take note:  This is one more reduction to our benefits.  SDVI has waiver of premiums (that is, no cost to the Veteran) on 10,000.  

That, apparently is "going away", so there wont be any more 10,000 free life insurance  for Disabled Vets.  Instead, VALI means you have to pay for it.  

Its "guaranteed" issue, which means "no death benefit for the first 2 policy years"..but only a return of premiums.  

Many companies offer "guaranteed issue", with this limitation.  

YOur denial is hogwash, just plain hogwash.  EVERY 100 percent Vet "also" has somethings wrong with him that is NOT SC.  Appeal it.  

It used to be VA life insurance was great.  It just got worse..much worse.