VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Duty to assist?

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

OK I thought I've read somewhere that the VA has a dDR. Notes-OSA weight gain.pdfuty to assist and there was a CFR that states they shall help veterans with the claims process? Here is where my PCP specifically tells me in writing that PCP is not involved in the claims. I'm confused. 

Pharmacists have always been able to legally overrule doctors, J. It’s literally part of their job, VA or not VA. A lot of people think the doctor is the end all/be all of the health care pyramid but they aren’t. 

My BIL is a pharmacist and they have training specifically on the proper protocol to overrule a doctors med order. they end up saving a lot more lives than you’d think. Doctors take about 2 classes in pharmacology, pharmacists do nothing but that- plus they are required to keep going, after, too keep their license. 

who would you rather have making decisions over things like drug interactions i that could kill you?

I have got to say that I do not have a problem what so ever with my VA care. Manchester VA hospital in NH has taken care of me on every issue. The VA claims side is very difficult. I understand completely what they are trying to protect but it really screws the veterans that are really struggling and having issues due to service. I just thought the VA doctors were suppose to have a medical opinion on who are in the care regardless of claim or not. They seem to stay away no matter what. I will go to the private sector for paperwork. 

I stand self corrected- They amended it (VHA Directive 1134(2))- again- but since it is a VHA policy its not one that we (VBA) would ever receive. I apologize, and will edit my prior comment RE: VA doctors and forms. 

See attached- relevant part is Section 4, but the whole thing isn't that long to read, either.

1134(2)_D_2016-11-28.pdf

• Community Owner
13 hours ago, Vync said:

Wasn't there a fast letter or OGC guidance years ago saying VA providers could fill them out, but deferred to the VBA examiners for the medical opinion portion?

I think this is the one you are refuging to. I was told the lunge in it allowed the provider to choose if they wanted or not to fill out the form. My provider tried to tell me it would be a conflict of interest because they were treating me. (go figure)

VHA Directive 2008-071, Completion of Forms by VHA.pdf

10 minutes ago, Rattler767 said:

I think this is the one you are refuging to. I was told the lunge in it allowed the provider to choose if they wanted or not to fill out the form. My provider tried to tell me it would be a conflict of interest because they were treating me. (go figure)

VHA Directive 2008-071, Completion of Forms by VHA.pdf 46.57 kB · 0 downloads

That directive expired in 2013 (see bottom p1) 

• Community Owner

I think there is a newer one issued after 2013 but I would have to dig deeper in my files. If you look it up on the FAST web sight I think its linked to it.