VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Duty to assist?

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

OK I thought I've read somewhere that the VA has a dDR. Notes-OSA weight gain.pdfuty to assist and there was a CFR that states they shall help veterans with the claims process? Here is where my PCP specifically tells me in writing that PCP is not involved in the claims. I'm confused. 

Just now, Rattler767 said:

I think there is a newer one issued after 2013 but I would have to dig deeper in my files. If you look it up on the FAST web sight I think its linked to it.

I posted it above yours. 

• Community Owner

Sorry didn't see it. Thanks.

• Community Owner

Wow It looks like in the new directive they have to do DBQ's if you request it. It would be interesting to push the local buttons to see what they say.

"(c) Completion of DBQs to Support VA Benefits Claims. A “no wrong door” philosophy must be adopted to accommodate Veterans bringing a VA DBQ form to a VA medical facility for completion.
1. Veterans may ask their primary care or specialty care provider to complete a DBQ for conditions which are already diagnosed and documented and for which the provider is treating the Veteran. DBQs can be completed by the treating provider during a routine office visit when there is sufficient time and the medical information is available. DBQs can also be completed outside of an office visit, or an appointment can be scheduled for completion. (See VHA Directive 2013-002, Documentation of Medical Evidence for Disability Evaluation Purposes, or subsequent policy issue, on the VHA Publications Web site).

2. If a VHA treating provider has questions regarding DBQs including which DBQs they can or should complete, they may seek further guidance from VBA. Additional guidance and information on completing DBQs can be found on VHA’s Office of Disability and Medical Assessment (DMA) website. Guidance specifically for primary care providers is located in DMA Fact Sheet 12-002, “DBQs and Primary Care Providers”. For a complete list of DBQs, see VA’s DBQ Switchboard Intranet page (NOTE: These are internal VA Web sites that are not available to the public) or at VA’s external, publicly accessible VA DBQ Switchboard Internet page.

3. For requests for completion of mental health DBQs, it is recommended that the Veteran’s treating provider not complete the DBQ to maintain the integrity of the patient-provider relationship."

Edited by Rattler767

Rattler767, that what I thought was out there. It leaves a couple options for the PCP to deny on the spot but making an appointment just for that seems to be the way to go. I still think they will shy away or not give an honest opinion. Just my thoughts